Barefoot Runners

Foot Strike (Read 1216 times)

runner duck

My Everything Hurts

I recently got myself some Vibrams because nothing else seemed to be working for me. They have been really good so far. I was told that you are supposed to run toe/heel not heel/toe. I noticed some wearing in the heel padding on my Vibrams. Is it true that you are supposed to run toe/heel? If so anyway I can change how I'm landing? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Smile

" Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes."

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I think more in line of mid-foot strike. I hear a slapping noise when I land on heel. Have been trying to run quieter using high knee and mid/ball foot strike which ever seems quieter. Still not there yet myself. My VFFs do show more heel wear because of the way I land. I have more feeling when BF and with the Sprints than with Biklia's. But I am still a novice BFer and am interested in what the experts will say!

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Half Fanatic #846

i think running toe to heel or on your toes is a more natural foot strike for sprinters.  When I jog barefoot I land first on my forefoot, come down on my mid-foot, and touch my heel.  Running faster involves more pushing off with my forefoot & toes.  Before BF running when I was in shoes all the time I was a heel and mid-foot striker, but now I run more naturally on my fore and mid-foot.  Let your foot-strike develop naturally without forcing it.  I worked on mine simply by sometimes repeating silently to myself when running "fore-foot, fore-foot, fore-foot...". 

Now, I doubt that I have a perfect foot-strike (and hopefully someone else with more expertise will chime in before long) - but this seems to work for me.  I think you are on the right track - maybe take off the VFFs and run a very short distance completely BF and you will probably get a better idea of exactly how you are landing and whether it would take much of an adjustment to "correct" your form if it needs any.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think you should do some true barefoot running if you have not done so already, so you can get the feel of a natural foot strike.  Don't try to do anything different; just run in the most natural and relaxed form possible.  I have found that over time not only my foot strike has changed, but also my form and posture.  I am more upright, center of gravity more forward, pelvis more forward, leg angle slightly changed as a result.  As a result, I'm running more, there's no more knee pain, and running's a lot more fun.  I'm sure I still have room for improvement.  It's not something you can force to happen quickly.  Maybe over a year's time.

runner duck

My Everything Hurts

I ran BF before I bought my Vibrams and really shredded my feet. Thats what prompted me to buy them. I know what you mean though you can tell that there is a difference between the two.

" Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes."

wanderingoutlaw

runner duck, it sounds like you did too much too soon when barefooting.  If you really want to barefoot, you have to be willing to slow down, not run as far, and maybe not as often as before (assuming you ran shod before).

I'm one of the slow barefoot learners: I've been barefooting around two years and am no where close to running as much or as far as I used to.

Good luck

John

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

The problem I have to deal with is still heel striking when BF. Really became noticeable when I ran on a track with a BF group. Could hear feet slapping. I am making a more concious effort to ball/midfoot or "quiet" run now and can feel the difference.Still need to work on it. My VFF Bikilas do show that I still heel strike in them, but not as much as in thicker soled shoes. Its going to take more time to run BF "normally" I think.

Since running BF in Austin I've noticed more "rawness" in feet which I attribute to the differences in road beds. Austin has rougher concrete and asphalt than we did in Fort Worth. I need a few days between BF sessions for feet to get back to normal, especially if a hot spot developed.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

runner duck

My Everything Hurts

Well thanks for the input guysSmile I'll be sure to keep at it!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

When you start running barefoot, you should not run more than a block or two, and that's after weeks barefoot walking for preparation. Still, it's not a matter of turning the skin on your feet into cowhide; it's more a matter of adapting your foot strike, and not trying to run at 100 meter pace.  Don't shred your feet!

Have you studied Barefoot Ken Bob's instructions?  He's the guru on BF running.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I had great advice from a BF group coordinator last night. I've been trying to run quieter and stop even mild heel strike when BF. He suggested running/jogging in place to get the feel for proper BF. Then lean forward a little bit and start running. I tried it and it felt comfortable and quieter. I showed myself the difference by intentionally heel striking and that was much louder. Used it again this morning for a 3mi run in my altered Crocs on crushed gravel and it was quieter than when I reverted to heel strike. I guess it takes, what, 21 days to create a new habit...LOL

bob e v

wanderingoutlaw

bob, that's how Barefoot Ken Bob suggests getting started with barefooting--first stand in place (ideally on the roughest surface you can handle), experiment with bending your knees differing amounts and balancing on one foot.  Then move on to walking in place and then running in place. And finally go from running in place to moving your hips forward so you're running.

John

jeffdonahue

I had great advice from a BF group coordinator last night. I've been trying to run quieter and stop even mild heel strike when BF. He suggested running/jogging in place to get the feel for proper BF. Then lean forward a little bit and start running. I tried it and it felt comfortable and quieter. I showed myself the difference by intentionally heel striking and that was much louder. Used it again this morning for a 3mi run in my altered Crocs on crushed gravel and it was quieter than when I reverted to heel strike. I guess it takes, what, 21 days to create a new habit...LOL

One of the tricks I read somewhere to running quieter was to really concentrate on lifting your foot off the ground, not on it hitting the ground.  so you almost start pulling your foot back up before it hits the ground (gravity makes sure that it does hit the ground).

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

One of the tricks I read somewhere to running quieter was to really concentrate on lifting your foot off the ground, not on it hitting the ground.  so you almost start pulling your foot back up before it hits the ground (gravity makes sure that it does hit the ground).

Jeff that is also part of what he says, high knees like when running in uncut grass to avoid tripping. I can feel it more in my quads and ball of feet when running more quietly/correctly.

Got 3.2mi in BF in my hilly neighborhood this morning. Even tried walking on a crushed gravel trail for a bit. Not as bad as the last time I tried that. Balls of feet are more sore than the heels. I take that as an indicator that form is improving. Think I'm ready to try for 2 BF runs/week and increase in mileage.

bob e v

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I wouldn't focus too much on foot strike.  It's driven by your overall posture.  Good posture leads to good foot strike.  So focus on overall posture.

That said, if barefoot running shreds your feet, you're probably not safe yet in Vibrams.  

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

That said, if barefoot running shreds your feet, you're probably not safe yet in Vibrams.  

+100