Barefoot Runners

Barefoot running for a cause - Oct 23rd - 24th (Read 284 times)

jeffdonahue

I was out for my run this morning on a typical route in Woburn, MA (around Horn Pond if you know the area) when I happened to pass a flyer stuck to a telephone pole.  I immediately hit the brakes because the word "barefoot" caught my eye as it was above a silhouette of a man running.

Flyer said "Come see Tim the Barefoot Runner" October 23rd and 24th as he runs around Horn Pond to collect food to feed the hungry.  Tim is going to be running barefoot for 36 hours on a two mile loop around this pond in Woburn.

I emailed him and told him I will stop by definitely to drop off food, and if he didnt mind, I would run a lap or so with him barefoot.  He already emailed me back - seems like a nice guy.

Here is a link to his website:

http://www.barefootrunner.net/

If you are in/from the area, think about stopping by and donating some food.  From the statistics I have heard lately, 1 in 8 americans is in danger of going hungry right now.

Jeff

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I know Tim, he's a very motivated guy, tell him I said hi.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      jeffdonahue

So I did get to go by to see Tim the Barefoot Runner this weekend.  I had hoped to go by on Friday during the day, but work can be such a hassle 

So instead I got up early and headed over to the pond around 5:30 or so.  It took me a bit to find him because he had stopped at his home base and was inside usign the facilities.  I think he was hurting at that point - almost 24 hours and he told me he had covered 45 miles barefoot, but with the cold and rain he was down to walking barefoot at that point.  I walked a lap with him, and he told me 45 miles straight was the farthest he had ever gone barefoot in one shot.  I was pretty impressed considering my longest BF run of 3.6 miles pales in comparison.

He seemed like a nice guy and said the food collection was doing pretty well too.  I dropped off a bag of food while I was there, and got a few good tips from him while we talked.  he runs with the Shamrock runnign club out of Woburn on Thursdays and I told him I was going to try to make it down this week to run with them.  They have 2-3 barefoot runners there, and while I may be slower and not able to go as far I thoguht it would be cool to get in a few miles with other barefooters.