Barefoot Runners

Lemings... (Read 706 times)

Half Fanatic #846

No, not those lemmings!

I was planning on getting a pair of Altra Samsons, but at the last minute, found Leming minimal shoes and decided to get a pair of those instead. (From www.stemfootwear.com - they have changed their name to Leming).

Anyway, these are just slightly lighter, and have a better tread than the siped Samsons. They are very comfy, the first shoes I've been comfortable in without socks. Went on an inaugural run this morning in them for 4.5 miles, no hotspots or blisters. The only question that remains for me is how long the tread will last. Can't tell any wear yet, but it's far too early.

The other thing that helped was the coupon code I used ( mil15off ) which expires at the end of this year.

(BTW Led: still waitin' on those Sockwas...how 'bout you?)

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Waiting, waiting, waiting.  Let us know what you think of the Lemings (with one m).

Half Fanatic #846

Well, I've got 42 miles on the Lemings now.  Enough mileage to make some observations:

1.  They really are like a pair of fancy light water shoes, or water shoes with more form to them - and laces.  And with removable inserts. Weight is about 7 ounces in a 9, I think.

2.  Not sure the soles are really made to do a lot of running on - they are a soft, almost "sticky" rubber compound; flats might be a few seconds faster?? I don't know - have done two 5Ks in them and they felt great.  I used them mostly on asphalt; a couple of times on gravel roads and they were okay - not for large pieces of gravel though.

2.  Over-priced at $89 (but easier to take at $74 with the coupon above).

3.  The heel is wearing more than expected although forefoot wear is barely noticeable; what's up with that? - maybe I'm more of a heel striker when  walking  at work - and I do wear them every day I'm at work (they passed the "black, athletic style" test of footwear required).  And maybe I'll get 300 miles or more from them, depending on how thin I want to wear the heels down.

4.  I was able to wear these shoes sockless from day 1 without any blisters, hotspots, or rubbing at all (somewhat loose is good) - first shoe I've been able to do that in.

5.  The most comfortable shoe I've owned (more comfy than the Nike Free 5.0 & 3.0's I've had) - maybe I'll call it a truly "all-purpose" shoe. I can easily see wearing them to work, running, casual, or pretty much whatever (which is what I do with them).

6. I plan on buying another pair at the end of the year before the discount expires.

The next interesting minimal shoe I've heard about that is supposed to be out in a few weeks is Skecher's Go Bionic. Reportedly like the Nike Free 3.0 but ZHL, more flexibility, lighter, and more cushioned. Check out the technical and wear review at Runblogger.com.  After reading it, I really want a pair of these!

Happy Running!

MTA: Toe box is roomy and forefoot is wide.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!