Barefoot Runners

Winter Shoes (Read 2158 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Winter is definitely here in New England. I can run barefoot down into the upper 30s, but only for relatively short runs before I start to get uncomfortably cold. FiveFingers add a little bit of warmth, but just barely. Last winter I had a cheap pair of aquasocks from Sports Authority, but they didn't add much warmth either, despite being far less responsive than FiveFingers. I suspect there's wide variation in aqua socks out there, some barefoot runners seem to really like them. This winter I'm going to try Teva Proton 3's: First run was last night, with a windchill in the teens. They're definitely warmer, though also slightly stiffer. You can still feel the ground, just not as much. I don't really like the reduced sensation, with less feedback I think I'm going to have to be vigilant about maintaining my form. Last night I mixed in about four minutes of barefoot running toward the middle of the run. It's amazing how that can "recalibrate" your running, even after you put your shoes back on.
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      I'm considering picking up a pair of Flows for when it gets real cold, but I am surprised how well I'm getting used to the FF's... for the first week, I was cold all of the time, but it's much better now.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

MojoJojo

I realize this is an old thread, just curious what others are doing nowadays for cold weather.

I'm using actual shoes for now until I can find something good to use as it is now consistently below freezing and frequently below zero here (Minnesota).

Thanks!

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I have a pair of Protons and a pair of VFF Flows on the way...

Liz

pace sera, sera

I run in VFF flows.

-7F and feet were still fine.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

MojoJojo

-7F and feet were still fine.

That's good to hear, I was a bit skeptical about how good the flows would be.  I've heard they run a bit smaller than the regular VFFs, did you have any issues with sizing differences?  

I'm a size 42 in VFF Sprints... the sizing chart says to go 41.  I have some finger socks and was wondering if it'd be best to stick to size 42 and wear the socks with the Flows.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Very sad... My Flows just arrived and they are the most uncomfortable things!

Same size as my KSOs (as per manufacturer recommendation), but they don't begin to fit. It was easier to get my feet into them, but I couldn't get my toes into the toes - it's like the toes of the shoes are too narrow. And, overall, the shoes is much stiffer than the KSOs.

They might work for many, but not for me.

Back they go... (unless someone here is interested in a pair of size 38)

Liz

pace sera, sera

That's good to hear, I was a bit skeptical about how good the flows would be.  I've heard they run a bit smaller than the regular VFFs, did you have any issues with sizing differences?  

I'm a size 42 in VFF Sprints... the sizing chart says to go 41.  I have some finger socks and was wondering if it'd be best to stick to size 42 and wear the socks with the Flows.

Honestly I just kept trying on sizes until they fit right, so I'm not sure how they compare. I don't wear socks with them, but I imagine if you did, it might be even more of a pain to get them on.

As for being stiffer than other Vibrams, (I don't have KSO's I don't know), the answer is yes. They have loosened up a little after some wear and tear though. As for being a pain in the ass to put on, yes.  The first time I tried to put them on it took 20 minutes.  Once I figured out a few tricks, it now takes about a minute or so.

I have the black pair, which VFF says ". And our new IdroGrip performance rubber (available only in black) is razor-siped for added slip resistance over a variety of surfaces.". I'm not sure if that makes them stiffer or what.

After some adjustment though from being barefoot, they shall suffice for the winter.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I'm still running in the Protons I posted about last year.  They have a few hundred miles on them now. 

They're ok.  They're plenty warm enough.  I would still like something thinner without sacrificing too much warmth. 

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Imminent Catastrophe

I have three pairs of VFFs: classic, flow, and trek. The classics are a size larger (as advised by the Vibram website) All are the right size for me but the flows are noticeably snugger. I can wear the classics or treks with or without socks but the flows are too tight in the toes with socks. In order of comfort:

Trek: Easily the most comfortable, with or without socks. I wear these all the time and also run in them. Since they have leather uppers they are warm yet breathable. The tread is thicker and grippier, you don't feel the ground quite as much.

Flow: Good in cool weather but it's basically a wetsuit on your feet so in warmer weather they are too hot and don't breathe well. Too snug to wear with socks. Very good for running but since I can't wear socks, only for shorter distances. 

Classic: Good substitute for flip-flops but not as comfortable as the other VFFs because of the elastic cord and grippy heel. These are more comfortable with injinji socks but it kind of defeats their purpose. I can run in these too but they easily get sand and debris in them because of the low-profile uppers. Great for leisure wear.

I can't wait for the Bikila running version. 

MTA: siping actually makes them more flexible and with better traction. That means they cut thin grooves into the sole. They do this with car tires too. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

MojoJojo

I've been trying to find some water shoes.  The stores around me aren't carrying any Teva Protons.  I found some Oxide water shoes at Sports Authority though.  They have neoprene outers and were less than $10.  I did a 10K last night in single digit temp... worked perfect!  I'd almost go as far as to say they felt even better than my VFFs.  I wore some thin bicycle socks and my feet were very toasty.... even started sweating, so I may ditch the socks.  But overall felt very much like barefoot.  

On the VFF note... I wear a 42 in Sprints and wanted to try some Flows.  The sizing chart on the Vibram site says I should be using a 41.  By coincidence, the only other dude I know that has Vibrams, has the Flows in a 41.  I tried his out and my toes were totally scrunched up in them.  It wasn't hard to get my toes into them, but they were just too short.  Sooo, I'm guessing I'd be more of a 43.  Hope that helps if someone else is looking for sizing info and has to order online like me.

Long story short, thanks for all the tips... I think the water shoes are going to be perfect for me... and CHEAP!

By coincidence, the only other dude I know that has Vibrams, has the Flows in a 41.  I tried his out and my toes were totally scrunched up in them.  It wasn't hard to get my toes into them, but they were just too short.

I'd have to draw the line at putting my toes into used FF's from another dude. The thought of my foot sliding into another guys toe jam makes we want to

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Barefootin

Sumdeus,

I have the new trek - do you think with injinji's it would be good for -7F?

What about packed snow?

Sumdeus,

I have the new trek - do you think with injinji's it would be good for -7F?

What about packed snow?

I don't have trek's so I have no idea, now do I wear socks.  All I can say is that the flow's I have have been sufficient, so if those are anything like the new trek, then you're golden.

I'm resurrecting this thread since I'm looking for something with better grip in slippery mud on the trails than my Vibram KSOs. 

Right now i'm looking at Vibram TrekSports or Treks. 

Any other suggestions?

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado