Barefoot Runners

First Huaraches Run (Read 370 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Well finally finished assembling the Huaraches I got from InvisibleShoe.com. I made one mistake which was over trimming the front of the right sandal. I test walked in them on my carpet and not completely tied which allowed the front lip to catch. Shouldn't have done that when tired and not thinking. Anyway its now a touch short and allows toes to contact the road, but proved not to be a problem. I used the slip on lacing approach because I didn't think I could watch the video for the other lacing method a 5am without waking DW.

I am not a between the toe sandal person. Have never been able to wear them comfortably, so I went out the door with some trepidation, compounded by the short right sandal. But I have been experimenting with bf and minimal shoes since last fall, almost a year. Have run bf in old neighborhood, and in old Crocs with a slit cut into the toe box, and recently in Vibram Biklia (sp?). Have also run once in a pair of Tom's. When first wearing them feet reacted as if adjusting to being bf which made me think they could be an alternative minimal shoe for me. Also note that I have a larger left foot/leg and bad calf due to emergency calf surgery in 1986 for severe muscle tear.

OK so how did it go - loved them, especially early on. I started jogging earlier than normally because calves didn't feel tight. They slowly tightend up as I went up an incline, but much less than with most other shoes. I kept going and the calves eased off until after mi 2 when they reached a minor ache and stayed that way. Still ache post run - adjusting to bf is my guess. I expected some soreness since they are different from other shoes. I could feel right toes kiss the road about every 2nd or third stride but it did not bother me, neither did the lace between the toes. I did feel the knot tho, not bothersome, just knew it was there. I didn't flatten itas directed- was thinking I might have to re-tie, but will heat them up and flatten for sure. Realize there is enough lace to cut the dang thing off and not create a "short lace" issue! At about the 1 1/4 mi point I went onto a short crushed gravel trail to see how it felt. Very interesting. right toes liked kissing the gravel and it felt cool! The heels were another thing tho with gravel jumping on and off the sandal and occasionally sticking me. One pepple got under the arch and decided to make camp there. At the end of the trail, rather than let it clear on itself I stopped for a second and got rid of the pepples.Its a lot easier to clear the sandals than closed shoes, that is for sure. I continued running for almost 60 min (well for me it's jogging...). 2nd and 3rd mi pace were just a little slower than I've been generating with other shoes. I expect that will get faster with time as I adjust to the Huaraches.

Overall a very pleasant run with some truly fun sections.

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Loosen the heal strapping a bit and everything might be okay.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I tried that and it seems to help a little, but i really over trimmed that right sandal so it doesn't fix it completly.  I'll have to live with it as is or make another sandal if it gets bothersome. Did longest run so far in them this morning, 65 minutes,  4.2 mi and it felt ok. Got a little blister forming on the rt big toe. I think I was trying to keep the sandal from slipping. Need to keep the Huaraches runs a little shorter for now until the legs get more used to them since they are so much closer to true bf than the Vibrams. My left leg was showing signs of the use of different muscles late in mi 3. A touch of foot and shin ache. Nothing really bothersome. 

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.