Barefoot Runners

Winter-time barefoot experiences? (Read 61 times)

CT JEFF

It's getting cooler. Starting to think about when to wear shoes more and more. Ran 13.1 for a PR 9/27 barefoot. Then ran 10 miles at night barefoot in Disney the night of 10/5. No PR, but good run. The HM was about 40 degrees at the start, seemed pretty comfortable.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

ClintVoris

Barefoot in the midwest.  During winter, no less.  I live in the suburbs, so good roads, nice sidewalks and even grassy areas are very common for me.  I feel comfortable running barefoot down to about 25 degrees.  What I find to be of greater importance than temperature is the physical condition of the snow and snow pack (the older snow underneath.)  Any snow that is falling or came down in the last few hours is good to run on.  Where the danger comes from is two things: icyness and wetness.

Whenever there has been any kind of thaw (near or above freezing,) followed by freezing temps creates ice.  Barefeet just can't take ice; it's as good a broken glass.  The next thing is puddles or wetness.  This can even be caused by warm temps or chemical de-icers.  First, the little granules or pellets are as sharp as can be!  Secondly, its easy to get a mild 'chemical burn' from them.  Nothing major in my case, just a feeling that my feet are on fire.  Finally, wetness amplies the extent of the cold or wind chill.  Running in shoes at 30 degrees is no problem.  Even running BF at 30 degrees is not uncomfortable.  However, running BF with wet feet at 30 is a recipe for frost bite.  Your mileage may vary...

Enjoy you run!

Clint

Fort Wayne IN

CT JEFF

Last year, I only did 1 run after Thanksgiving barefoot. Found myself having a harder time getting motivated with the thought of cold feet. I got back out maybe too soon with a 6 mile run mid-March with little ice on the ground. I thought I would "dig in" with my toes, and got blisters. The texture of my soles gets interesting around 35*, very plastic-like.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!