Barefoot Runners

Holes in the toes of my VFF (Read 643 times)

Eternal Rookie

Wore two holes in the toes on my right foot at 143 miles and a third one is pretty thin, but the big toe and pinkie are fine as is the whole left shoe. Was expecting them to last longer.
      I have a hole in my big toe, with less than 50 miles. However, I have a shorter big toe than my index toe. The hole is small, but... I emailed Vibram and got no response.

Eternal Rookie

Interesting. I bought mine from a camping store locally and they were willing to take them back initially and return them to Vibram. The gal remember reading on their website once that they were supposed to  last 450 – 500 miles but neither of us could find that anymore.  Things got weird when they told me that they didn’t know when they get another pair and I talk started talking about getting a refund so that I could look elsewhere and instead I walked out of the store with my old Sprints to try and shoe-goo them (goo-ing will void the warranty by the way) and a pair of KSOs that are one European size larger that were returned to them because of a fabric run near the big toe.

For me, part of  “going natural” was to make you more bio mechanical efficient. I still think that I’m headed in that direction, but the wear pattern on my FF are very different between my two feet, whereas my shoes seem to be similar for the first time. Go figure.

I’d be interested to hear if they stand by there product with you or not.

Get Lost :)

This happened with mine as well. Took them back to the store, and they replaced them for me. Vibram did get back to me, if I recall, and told me to take them back to the retailer.

It's certainly not an isolated incident and something I hope they fix in future editions.

Wore two holes in the toes on my right foot at 143 miles and a third one is pretty thin, but the big toe and pinkie are fine as is the whole left shoe. Was expecting them to last longer.

Take them back to the place where you bought them.

It appears as thought different manufacturing batches have had differing issues, the problem with small runs perhaps.

Not sure how long your toenails are, but if they are longer than they should be, that can't really be helping.

Sorry to hear your VFF are sucking.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

I bought mine directly from vibram.

I bought mine directly from vibram.

Warranty
                Within 90 days of the original date of purchase Vibram FiveFingers will replace any item that is defective. Please keep in mind that this does not include damages caused by excessive wear and tear. If you are not sure if your item has a factory defect, please contact customer service at 978-318-0000 x211.

Just spoke to India at Vibram and even though it has now been well over 90 days, they are going to consider a return. Very nice people over there. I guess my original email must have gotten lost.

galberras

fear the Col Sanders

Here I was all excited, thinking that there are other uncoordinated folks in the crowd.  Turns out, I was wrong.  I'm the only one.  Bummer.  Joel, party of one, your table is ready.

Twice I have accidentally caught my left big toe and had it flip and drag on the road.  The result is a pea-sized hole on the top of my big toe. It did hurt quite a bit, too!

Any advice on suturing or gluing it shut?  My concern is that the hole might get larger over time (may be completely unfounded). 

Thoughts on this?

And yes, I'll try to pick up my feet in the future.

Just because I look dumb doesn't mean I'm not...

Here I was all excited, thinking that there are other uncoordinated folks in the crowd.  Turns out, I was wrong.  I'm the only one.  Bummer.  Joel, party of one, your table is ready.

Twice I have accidentally caught my left big toe and had it flip and drag on the road.  The result is a pea-sized hole on the top of my big toe. It did hurt quite a bit, too!

Any advice on suturing or gluing it shut?  My concern is that the hole might get larger over time (may be completely unfounded). 

Thoughts on this?

And yes, I'll try to pick up my feet in the future.

I have done exactly as you did when I was running in the Vibrams. Around when I was starting as well. I have a hole in the top left big toe. I didn't do anything to it, and it hasn't gotten bigger in 6 months or so. Not that yours won't, but mine has been fine.

I've also dragged a toe running barefoot. That hurt worse, and took longer to heal.  So you won't be dining alone.

Eternal Rookie

Yup, I did the same thing - ripped a hole in the top after stubbing my toe and never did anything to it and they are fine. Man does that hurt.

If anything teaches you to pick your feet up, it's immense physical pain.