Barefoot Runners

NY Times article on BF running form & Vibrams Barefoot running guide (Read 986 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/magazine/running-christopher-mcdougall.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1320408130-IsXtLNKjNo4UmcQQhC7Bkg

Good read. I also kept heel striking when first wearing VFF Bikila's. Took full BF for me to transition to ball/mid foot strike. Am going to have to try the 100 up exercise. It looks similar to the running in place our local BF guru has us do before a run.

Saw this Vibram guide. Haven't read it but wanted to share...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/VibramFiveFingers/Barefoot_Running_Brochure_R13_062211.pdf

btw: I'm well on my way to being able to BF run our local 5mi Turkey Trot. Did 4.5 mi on asphalt in a shopping center parking lot the other morning. No foot tenderness and got 3 mi BF in the next day on concrete!

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Thanks for the links, Bob.

No foot tenderness  and got 3 mi BF in the next day on concrete!

I used to have severe  tender footness  before BF!  But I'm not used to concrete - it jars my body and I feel the effects. I guess if there was concrete in my neighborhood I'd get used to it quickly enough - it's easy and smooth to run on for sure.  I remember running part of a 5K on concrete in shoes once and my body was sore for a couple of days - I was heel striking back then anyway.

I'm going to check on the "100 up" exercise now...  Good Luck in the Turkey Trot!

MTA: 

That NYT article was a good read - I've personally experienced many of it's premises.  And, I know my heels still touch the ground maybe still a little too hard, so the 100 exercise - which is easy - should help. 

"I can do 440 in 220"    Half Fanatic #846    "90% of running is half mental"    If I collapse, please pause my Garmin

tomatolover

thanks for the Vibram guide!  very useful advice 

Thanks for sharing, I'm very interested in the 100 up exercise that he dug up. I see others have referenced in the past, but sometimes it takes someone in the media circle to hype it up to a point where some of us normal folks can see it.

Anyone have any experience with this? 

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I've done the 100-up minor exercise a few times. Haven't really gotten into the major yet. Intend to since I had no problems with the minor.

Question: how do you count? With each foot fall, or with each leg, e.g. 100 with each leg - which is what I choose. Have watched the video a few times and can't quite figure out what was intended.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

fear the Col Sanders

I was wondering about the 100 up form as well and ran across this:

http://www.chrismcdougall.com/blog/2011/11/100-up-in-action/

(in case anybody else was still wondering...)

Just because I look dumb doesn't mean I'm not...

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I was wondering about the 100 up form as well and ran across this:

http://www.chrismcdougall.com/blog/2011/11/100-up-in-action/

(in case anybody else was still wondering...)

yes I was but hadn't found this! Thanks!

bob e v