Barefoot Runners

newbie questions (Read 182 times)

Duncan

Hi. I've had a look through the posts here so if I've missed the answers to my questions please forgive me! I've been running three years now but am often injured. I grew up in Zimbabwe and we were always barefoot and I'd love to run barefoot. I'm 44. The questions I have: If my injury problems are due to poor bio mechanics will BF running help? I run mostly off road, will my feet get tough enough to continue this? I don't really want to run in Vibrams or any other minimalist shoe if I can help it, not beyond a transitional period anyway. Looking forward to your feedback. Duncan.
      The answer to the first question is, nobody knows, I think. Give it a try and see. It seems to help me. My back, hips, knees all feel better from barefoot running. Question 2: maybe. I ran my first barefoot trail run yesterday, a mile on wooded trails. Mostly soft mud, but trees, stick, and rocks in there too. go to Barefoot Ted's web site. he runs trails barefoot.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Queen of 3rd Place

Someone else here (I think) posted that he had to walk barefoot for a time to toughen his feet up for offroad running. Arla

Ex runner