Barefoot Runners

Another view (Read 478 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Thanks for the link. 

He does a pretty balanced overview, but then goes off on his own unsourced speculations.  It's a temptation that's hard to pass up.  :-)

Example: his argument about the knee's lateral retinaculum is essentially circular, since these knee problems all occur in shod populations. 

Another example: there are studies that show that crowded teeth (and the lack of room for wisdom teeth) are correlated with modern diets, and isolated people eating their traditional diets have broader dental arches, with plenty of room for wisdom teeth. So that's not a good example of an evolved point of failure.

His conclusion that shoes are not likely to make much of a difference gets a big fat "[citation needed]", by his own standard of evidence.  He would have been better off sticking with his previous conclusion: jury still out.

The Harvard barefoot study I participated in expects to publish results soon, this should provide some interesting fodder.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Half Fanatic #846

Thanks for the link. 

He does a pretty balanced overview, but then goes off on his own unsourced speculations.  It's a temptation that's hard to pass up.  :-)

I was hoping to find something new in the article...

The Harvard barefoot study I participated in expects to publish results soon, this should provide some interesting fodder.

I really look forward to a link when this comes out!  Thanks for that info Ed4. 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Not that you wouldn't, but please pass this link along, even if it's to a paid PDF. When you are aware it exists of course. I'm very interested to see the results.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com