Barefoot Runners

Does BF running completely shock your muscles... (Read 307 times)

jeffdonahue

when you first start out?

I only ask because I had tried it a while back adn it felt pretty good running, but remember that about 3 days later my legs all of a sudden were crampy and really tired.  In particular it was my calves that seem to be feeling it the most.

I did a BF run about 3 days ago and lo and behold, same thing.  My legs cramped up last night and felt like lead today.

Wasnt sure if this was just me (or maybe some completely other outside cause) or fi this is normal and goes away after a few BF runs.

BF running does not shock your muscles.  The human leg is very well designed for absorbing shock. 

But yes, when you first start out your lower legs (calf and soleus in particular and sometimes the peroneus longus tendon on the ouside of your lower leg) will be fatigued and sore. 

This is because we have used shoes our whole lives and have not given these muscles the opportunity to grow and develop like they should.

Bad news:  It may take a few months for your lower legs to get used to the force of running.  It may be painfull at times and you may have to go through a cut back/progress period or two.

Good news:  With consistant training it will go away.  It took me a few months for it to happen but now I sometimes forget that it ever happened at all.  My legs love to barefoot run and it feels relaxing to them.  I have even ran a BF marathon with no pain or injury at all!

So just keep with it! 

The right path is my path.

In my opinion, it's pretty exciting to find a bunch of muscle groups that haven't been running with you and get them on board!  

I started w/ racing flats and my calves were extremely sore at first.  "Brick by brick my citizens..."
          Yes, my calves were brutalized when I started out. They're fine now though. They adjust.
          Relax, Relax, Relax

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes, my calves were brutalized when I started out. They're fine now though. They adjust.

+1. Took 6-8 months. Now I have a sore Achilles tendon, probably related.

It takes a long time to make up for a lifetime of neglect.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I learned the hard way after overdoing it.  Pretend you have no idea how to run and start running accordingly. This means very slow, low barefoot/nike free/vf5 miles.

Then, ease things up, slowly.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Yes, it's normal to be sore.

But keep in mind that it depends on both conditioning and technique.  If you're completely blowing out your calves all the time, it's almost certainly because you're running too high up on your toes. 

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                pitrunner

Yes, it's normal to be sore.

But keep in mind that it depends on both conditioning and technique.  If you're completely blowing out your calves all the time, it's almost certainly because you're running too high up on your toes. 

My calves are jacked up right now and they don't seem to be getting better. I am quite positive that I'm not too high on my toes. I mean, I know most people say that your heel should "kiss" the ground, but mine hits much harder than that. So if my heels are coming down and hitting fairly hard (not painful) it would be impossible for me to be too high on my toes, right? I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it's making me very frustrated. Frustrated enough to put on regular shoes Sad