Barefoot Runners

Please tell me it gets better! (Read 365 times)

I've started adding barefoot running to my training.  I started out on the treadmill, and have moved to the road.  I've started out slowly, and for short distances.  I planned to run 1 mile yesterday (longest to date), but after about 0.5 miles, I stepped on a stone right on the pad of my foot between my second and third toe.  OUCH.  I had to stop and hobble home.  Now I have a bruise on the bottom of my foot.  I'm sure it will get easier, but boy did that hurt!

It gets better.

Focus on staying relaxed, bending your knees, and keeping an upright posture. Tension makes you drive your foot into the ground (and rocks). Eventually, when you step on a rock you will easily "limp" over it. That's not to say rocks will never hurt, but stepping on them will be more of an irritation than a run-ender.

Half Fanatic #846

It gets better.
          Eventually, when you step on a rock you will easily "limp" over it. That's not to say rocks will never hurt, but stepping on them will be more of an irritation than a run-ender.

My experience exactly!  I used to go on short BF runs and would step on several rocks that really hurt; now, I can usually go on several much longer runs in a row without any problems - as long as I watch where I'm going.  Over time, you will notice that it's getting better, and your feet will learn to automatically accommodate (limp over) most "foreign" objects.  Now my main problem is bruising my feet from the temptation of running too much because it's so enjoyable.       

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!