Barefoot Runners

Vibram vs Feelmax (Read 1040 times)

Half Fanatic #846

I had been interested in the Feelmax Niesa (extremeoutfitters.us) and was planning on getting a pair, until I read a recent review of them.  The review - sorry I don't have the link now - showed a photo of the Niesa sole after 62 miles of wear in which it was obviously starting to wear with what looked like a thin spot beginning to form. The Niesa's have a 1 mm thick sole. I don't think the type of surface(s) used were mentioned.  Barefoot Ted has been test driving Feelmax since Jan. this year, but I haven't found any recent updates. Supposedly, Feelmax is coming out with a more durable sole. But I doubt I'd be interested now if I can't get more than 200-300 miles out of them.

On the other hand, Ed has a pair of V FFs with around 1,200 miles on them using a variety of surfaces.  BUT, my foot length discrepancy won't allow me to wear V FF properly (I believe the company advises they are not for you if there is a discrepancy of more than 1/16" - and I'm a lot more than that).

So I'm still looking for a more durable minimalist shoe without individual toe pockets.  Maybe I'm asking too much, but a "barefoot" shoe like this with a positive durability review would be nice to find.  Anybody have more information or a link?

Thanks, Bill

MTA: the review was this link:  http://www.barefootrunner.com/2009/03/review-feelmax-panka/

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Imminent Catastrophe

This might work. Pricey, though. These aren't really designed for running but they would work. I think they're coming out with a dedicated running shoe in a few months.

Here's a blog review that I found about them.

I think the soles are Kevlar. That would be really flexible. I may check it out next time I'm in NYC.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Professional Antagonist

Bill,

While they are certainly not durable, have you considered aqua socks (beach shoes)?  I used them when I started barefoot running a few years ago.  They were dirt cheap ($5 at Walmart) and lasted about 200 miles on asphalt.  Obviously the durability is horrible, but the thin soles, flexibility, and price make them an attractive option.

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

Half Fanatic #846

Bill,

While they are certainly not durable, have you considered aqua socks (beach shoes)?  I used them when I started barefoot running a few years ago.  They were dirt cheap ($5 at Walmart) and lasted about 200 miles on asphalt.  Obviously the durability is horrible, but the thin soles, flexibility, and price make them an attractive option.

Yes, I have 2 pairs - you are right - one pair was $6 at Sports Authority.  I just really hadn't considered them other than my casual "run errands, etc." type of fugly shoe.  I'll start doing some running in them until/unless Feelmax develops a better sole.  Thanks for the simple reminder! 

Meantime, I'm also using Nike Free's a lot, running BF more and more, and using my Nike Air Pegasus less and less.  

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Well if you're looking for something without toes, barefoot ted is now making custom made huarache here: http://barefootted.com/shop/.

They will cost you between 55-70 dollars.  I don't know anyone who has tried this, but it's certainly interesting.

You can post to the yahoo barefoot group if you're interested in feedback on them, I believe that Ted writes there, along with others who have more experience with them.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Half Fanatic #846

Thanks everyone for all the info - interesting stuff!  I'll check these sites occaisionally and any major changes I'll be sure to post it. 

Professional Antagonist

Well if you're looking for something without toes, barefoot ted is now making custom made huarache here: http://barefootted.com/shop/.

They will cost you between 55-70 dollars.  I don't know anyone who has tried this, but it's certainly interesting.

You can post to the yahoo barefoot group if you're interested in feedback on them, I believe that Ted writes there, along with others who have more experience with them.

I made my own huaraches based on Ted's model.  They worked okay, but my leather strap was too thin.  I made them during the height of my training, so I didn't bother trying to perfect them.  They do hold some promise, however.

Jason,

Interested to hear how those worked?  Did you buy the kit off the site?

Good luck on that upcoming 100, love to hear how it goes.  Ran 10 miles on those trails today and my feet are sore from all that gravel.  Float like a butterfly out there.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Professional Antagonist

Sumdeus-

No, I made them from an old pair of aqua socks (the soles) and leather boot laces.  The boot laces were too thin, though.  I based the plans on BF Ted's YouTube vids.

Woodstock should be interesting.  I'll post a race report as early as I can!