Barefoot Runners

Running Moccasins (Read 1125 times)

These actually look pretty cool, but I don't think I could bring myself to spend $87 on a pair of shoes when Huaraches are so nice. I could see these being nice in the winter.

Half Fanatic #846

My big dogs would cost me $102 - not exactly what I'd want to pay for moccasins, although that hi-top style looks good for winter conditions.  

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I actually have a pair of those coming in the mail. I'm new at this minimalist thing and can't find VFFs anywhere near me. Esp since my 2nd toe is longer than big toe - which I hear is a potential prob with fitting VFFs - this seemed like a good option for me. Someone on RunningAhead wears and likes them, which is in part why I'm going to try them, but I can't remember who it was that recommended.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Esp since my 2nd toe is longer than big toe - which I hear is a potential prob with fitting VFFs - 

Is it SIGNIFICANTLY longer or only a little bit longer?  My second toe is longer than my big toe by more than an eighth of an inch and my VFF fit fine.  That doesn't help you find a pair...but you might be surprised at the fit.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Good to know. It is def longer, but may not be a huge issue after all. Just wish they were sold somewhere near me. I normally will try online, but I'd prefer to do VFFs in-store. A road trip may be in my future.

TRUST THE PROCESS

My second toe is longer than my big toe. It only caused an issue because my big toe rubbed a hole in the top of the VFFs.

Queen of 3rd Place

Got the mocs and love them so far. Quality product, made in the USA, actually they are beautiful. I love having them on my feet and hate taking them off after a run - unlike anything else. Good people to work with.

The sole is half as thick as those on vibrams. I've ranted here before that FFs are pretty darn substantial for a minimalist shoe, and provide about the same support as cross-country flats. Just my opinion, worth what you paid and all that.

I loved the Feelmax Niesas but the soles wore through in 50 mi (running on sidewalks, 130 lb runner). Couldn't get the Feelmax Osmas in the right size. And...well...they look really ugly. The shape makes you look like you have on clown shoes. Maybe you men won't care.

I did have to send them back for a narrower pair after a few runs, but got a half refund. I know that you can get a full refund with regular running shoes, but this is a small business. Will post more over time on the mocs.

Arla

Ex runner

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Looks like a pretty positive review to me. I hope mine arrive soon. I know they are in the mail!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Got the mocs and love them so far. Quality product, made in the USA, actually they are beautiful. I love having them on my feet and hate taking them off after a run - unlike anything else. Good people to work with.

The sole is half as thick as those on vibrams. I've ranted here before that FFs are pretty darn substantial for a minimalist shoe, and provide about the same support as cross-country flats. Just my opinion, worth what you paid and all that.

I loved the Feelmax Niesas but the soles wore through in 50 mi (running on sidewalks, 130 lb runner). Couldn't get the Feelmax Osmas in the right size. And...well...they look really ugly. The shape makes you look like you have on clown shoes. Maybe you men won't care.

I did have to send them back for a narrower pair after a few runs, but got a half refund. I know that you can get a full refund with regular running shoes, but this is a small business. Will post more over time on the mocs.

Arla

I wore my new RunAmocLites today for the first time on a short walk (1 mile). I'm really new at this barefoot/minimalist thing so being cautious. Really nice shoes. Wore without socks and was fine. No seams to aggravate feet. Arla, do you wear yours without socks, too? If not, what type socks do you wear?

TRUST THE PROCESS

Queen of 3rd Place

I'm a big sock-wearer, I like these.

Ex runner

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Thanks! I used to do super padded socks for my super padded shoes, but wearing those socks with my Piranhas or my RunAmocLites seems absolutely silly (and I won't do it) - but I don't have any lite socks. This advice is super helpful. Thanks so much!

(MTA: Ordered the socks - thanks! Forgot to add, while I'd love to barefoot it in my shoes, I'm not wanting the inevitable stink that will happen if I don't wear socks).

TRUST THE PROCESS

Queen of 3rd Place

(MTA: Ordered the socks - thanks! Forgot to add, while I'd love to barefoot it in my shoes, I'm not wanting the inevitable stink that will happen if I don't wear socks).

Yeah, exactly! I used to work with a guy who wore the same sandals, without socks, every day. OMG.

Ex runner

It has been quite a while since I wore socks. Mostly, because the shoes I have don't fit if I wear socks. Yep they are that close.

Queen of 3rd Place

Then I guess powder is your friend. Or maybe you're blessed with non-stinky feet!

Ex runner