Barefoot Runners

Overheard on my run today... (Read 473 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Overheard on my run today:

Little Girl: Daddy, that guy is running barefoot!

Dad: Yeah, lots of people jog without shoes.

Little Girl: Why?

Dad: Well, they think it makes you more careful about how you run.

Holy cow.  The message is out.

---

PS: In other news, despite being pretty lazy all winter I am still a badass.  8.5 glorious miles today including gravel and broken bricks.  That is all. 

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

thats awesome, maybe i will start running unplugged after all.

so you might have seen hefty post a question about tender feet before he was hastily chased off and accused of trolling. ive only logged a pair of barefoot miles and developed some impressive blisters.

how long did it take you to build up the calluses?

PS: In other news, despite being pretty lazy all winter I am still a badass.  8.5 glorious miles today including gravel and broken bricks.  That is all. 

lol. awesomesauce!

The right path is my path.

calluses?  what calluses?  BF feet are super smooth and soft.  the road is a great pumice stone!

The right path is my path.
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

It's really not about calluses.  It's about technique. If you slide your skin on concrete, the concrete is going to win, no matter how callused you are.  The solution is to not slide.

Two miles is probably too much for you right now.  Most of us have to start out with more like 0.2 miles.  Blisters are counter-productive, so all you can do is let them heal and then try to start again more carefully.

Much has already been written about practicing good technique.  I think it's helpful to get other people's opinions, but not nearly as helpful as just getting out there are paying attention to your body, and persistently working at it, as often as you can.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.