Barefoot Runners

Plantar fasciitis (Read 479 times)

For those that have kicked the fearsome PF by barefooting how did you do it?

Currently I run in trainers, heavy flats, thin flats, VFF KSOs, and a tiny bit of true BF. Did you switch completely to BF or a combination of shoes like I do or something else? What about other exercises like barefoot walking drills?

I had it bad last year and gradually made a comeback and I'm pretty solid but I was doing some 200s tonight and now I'm a little sore. Only like a 2/10 but any pain on the bottom of my feet is scary.

jeffdonahue

I havent quite beat it yet, but it is a lot better than it was a month ago.

What I found really helped was stretching the calves (A LOT).  Also, I do find that it feels much better during and after barefoot running than shod running.

Also, get yourself one of those boots.  I picked one up for $30 at CVS and wear it sleeping.  It has helped immensely with teh morning foot pain, and has relieved the overall pain level a ton.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Half Fanatic #846

I havent quite beat it yet, but it is a lot better ...

Same here for me.  I think it takes some research and experimentation with various "cures", until you find some things that work specifically for you over the course of a few weeks.  Things that seemed to work best for me were PF specific stretching, running on softer surfaces, gradually acclimating to some barefoot running, and wearing minimalist shoes to strengthen the feet. I used the boot for a few weeks and it seems to have helped. 

I think over-use (over-training) was the culprit in my case. 

Good luck!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Professional Antagonist

For me, ditching the trainers was key.  It did take some time, though.  I used a variety of methods to alleviate the pain.  I rolled a frozen 20 ounce Coke bottle under my foot for 20 minutes several times per day. 

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site