Barefoot Runners

First time. (Read 763 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Purdey that does seem expensive,  In context they will last 4-5 times longer than your 80 pound running shoes.  Overall the VFF's are great value.

Agreed - especially with Skraalvoet's handy voucher code!  Cheers!

Imminent Catastrophe

In context they will last 4-5 times longer than your 80 pound running shoes...

80 pounds! Those are heavy shoes! 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Queen of 3rd Place

VFF running is nothing like real barefooting, it's closer to wearing flats. So don't get your hopes up too high.

Ex runner

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

got a 1.3 mi bf (well in old socks) in yesterday morning. The right sock had no heel when I finsihed. So I threw them away so my DW woudn't see them.

I haven't done much bf yet, but I still feel its helping me get the feel of mid foot strike. That and having found a really light running shoe, END OTG's. I don't seem to be landing on the outside rear corner these days - which wore out my shoes quickly.

I also started wearing Toms shoes - the Co that sends a shoe to a needy child for every pair they sell. They are think and light, mild arch support, very comfortable shoe. The first weekend I wore them my calfs were a littel bit sore and I realized I was walking differently in them more like bf jogging. Am thinking of sneaking them out of the house one morning and jogging in them. Has anyone worn Toms? What do you think? They are not "running" shoes, but I just wonder as a middle of the orad approach to bf - might be acceptable to DW.

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

1. Nope, never run in Tom's.

2. There really is no middle of the road barefoot, you're either wearing gloves on your feet or you're not.

3. What is a "DW"?

4. Congrats on improving your form through barefooting!

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

DW - dear wife. Learned that on this site... there's a thread somewhere with a list of meanings of various acronym's, I think under running 101 or general running.

Understood about going all the way. Will have to creep up on it without her knowing it.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I often wear Tom's shoes ... but then... my name is Tom.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I often wear Tom's shoes ... but then... my name is Tom.

lol - does that mean you give shoes to needy kids too!

bob e v

Purdey

Self anointed title

3 mi BF today.  Much, much better.  Kept pace just under 10 min/ miles.  No calf / foot pain.  Will build BF mileage steadily and only then look at increasing the pace.

Quite happy that just 5 days after my first attempt I have managed 3 mi.

Quick update.  Have kept the BF going, not a huge amount of BF mileage... but some.

Yesterday ran 6mi BF in 44:53.  It is coming together.  Feet felt fine.

Most of my runs are MUCH slower than the above though!  My usual BF pace is about 9:00.

(I have to run on the treadmill early in the morning, so finding grass is out of the question - although I might be able to do that at weekends).

Purdey,

I know this thread is a bit old but I wanted to add my two cents!

I say skip the grass! You never know what is hiding in the grass. When I first started out barefoot I just went straight to the asphalt and concrete. Now I avoid grass at all costs.

I have a couple courses I run now. One has some smooth 2 year old asphalt that is like running on clouds! The other one is 15+ year old asphalt... it is a little more challenging on the feet. The more miles I put on my feet the less it bothers me though. Even the few gravel paths that link the roads are tolerable now.

//Sam

Running in Socks

I say skip the grass! You never know what is hiding in the grass. When I first started out barefoot I just went straight to the asphalt and concrete. Now I avoid grass at all costs.

//Sam

I totally agree with that statement.