Barefoot Runners

Debris etc. on road sticking to my soles (Read 309 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

OK - dumb question time. There's a lot of stuff out there - twigs, leaves, various little seeds from trees, pebbles etc etc. - and these darn things not only sort of hurt, but they stick to my feet! Which in turn hurts some more! Today I found myself stopping every so often to wipe stuff off my soles. (Other than that I was great). I went to runningbarefoot.org and in their archives there are posts about getting accustomed to the stuff out there - people writing that your soles won't toughen up, rather your feet will become more relaxed so somehow you won't be bothered by the bits and pieces of things. Honestly, I don't get this part. Arla

Ex runner

Half Fanatic #846

In my very limited experience, the more I ran barefoot, the less the debris bothered me. Once in awhile I'd reach down and brush something off the bottom of my foot that stayed "stuck" there, but not very often. I guess it just takes practice and getting used to it... I think your soles will get tougher, but it probably won't be very noticeable - I couldn't tell any difference in mine really, although I hadn't done many miles yet. Learning to relax certainly helps. I doubt that we would ever get to the point that we'd never need to brush something off once in a while, but it would be distracting in a timed run or race. A pair of Vibrams would solve it! Big grin

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Queen of 3rd Place

We'll see what Santa brings. Big grin Meanwhile, what's with the taping your feet option? Is this yet another use for duct tape? Arla

Ex runner

Rudolf

taping the feet : if I know some spot on the skin is too sensitive and will develop a blister on particular surface and at teh distance etc, than it is smart to tape it before the run, this is more aplicable for the race, where You do not want to get disturbed by this issue or for specific training session when You plann to do teh distance and do not want to cut it short and jump of teh concrete to teh grass etc. But it is good not to use all the time and do sessions without taping to overcome to issue for teh future. also if there is a blister already before the race it is wise to tape it.
          bdub

Shoe Alarmist

also if there is a blister already before the race it is wise to tape it.
            I don't know why I'm asking questions when I haven't even tried BF yet but has anyone tried a liquid bandage product instead of tape? I would think tape would fall right off? MTA: I'll make 1st attempt at BF soon and report back
            Rudolf

I don't know why I'm asking questions when I haven't even tried BF yet but has anyone tried a liquid bandage product instead of tape? I would think tape would fall right off? MTA: I'll make 1st attempt at BF soon and report back
              I read the link, does not seem right for the purpose, liquid stuff is to stop infection, to lcose the open wound etc, but it will still make teh skin sensitive and teh spot exposed to lacal irritation from the running-walking biomechanics- using that spot as contact on ladning or push off point. tape on the other hand distributes the contact forces from the local spot to surounding skin and leaves the sensitive spot hiding under the tape. I was talking about open - bursted blisters, I was refering to blisters with some luiquid or even blood under skin but skin not open, usually such blisters heal without opening the skin, in past it was to use dfferent socks and different shoes as to change the pressure point, now it is to use tape. Tape hold quite well if the ground is dry, problem I found only in rain or after rain.

Queen of 3rd Place

So, tape as much as you like? Can you tape your whole foot? What kind of tape would you use? Arla

Ex runner

Rudolf

tape - I only do few toes and front ball points, but last time on track I did taped only 2 toes on each foot were the skin was already damaged from previous days. I use any tape I can find - masking tape, tape for joining teh carpets, electrical isolation tapes etc, some of them have the glue side toxic and smelly so this shoul be a concern, can also use medical tapes - those to hold dressing , needles etc - You know the old nursing joke : there are 2 types of medical tapes : A- the ones which will not stick and will fall off imediately B- the ones which You cant take off without causeing opain and take the skin with it as well Big grin yesterady I went for 7km walk on my usual course decided to go BF and took aquasocks into backpack just in case. did whole 7km very slowly in 90 minutes, there are patches with sharp gravel which was very slow going, but if I hit clean concrete or asphalt it was very good fast walk. when I get something stack to my soles, I just moved into grass as I walked and kinda brushed teh soles against the grass and it cleaned it. after walk, all thye skin which previously was partially damaged, covering old blisters etc simpkly came off in the shower so now I have the feet of a healthy baby Big grin feels so good
                  Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Relaxing really does make a big difference when it comes to small pebbles and debris. If you're tense, you keep your foot stiff and it doesn't conform to the terrain. When your feet are strong and flexible, you will instinctively adapt the way you're bearing weight to avoid putting too much pressure on a sharp object. It takes time to develop the strength and flexibility that allows this to happen. And of course your soles get tougher too. A lot tougher. It's a combination of better technique, stronger muscles, more flexible joints, and tougher skin that all make it possible.
                    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.