Barefoot Runners

First Blood (Read 400 times)

No, not the Stallone movie - though I have seen that on t.v. quite a bit lately.

Today, after a week or so off from BF running, I went out and did another mile.  It felt good, but about halfway back on the return loop I felt a sharp pain  on my left arch.  After a few steps it didnt go away so I stopped and reached my hand down - there was something sharp sticking out of my foot.  I didnt even really try to see what it was but instead pulled it out and tossed it aside and finished up my mile.

As I started putting my shoes back to drive to the gym, I did decide to look at the spot where the pain had been.  There was a big glob of blood there.  I grabbed the closest thing I could to a tissue - an old visor that was in my car - and applied pressure to stop the bleeding.  Afterwards I felt the area and it didnt feel like anything was still in there, but there was a small cut on foot.

I have done a lot of barefoot runs (well, okay some barefoot running - not a lot compared to most people here) and never had a cut before.  I've had blisters, but this was my first blood that I have shed in my barefoot running endeavor. 

It feels kind of like a rite of initiation or something.

It feels kind of like a rite of initiation or something.

That's right - it's just a matter of time before that proud moment arrives to officially initiate us.  My moment(s) came when I finished a run and felt something still on my foot.  It was a jagged piece of acorn shell that had embedded in my skin.  Then a week later I found a staple hanging out of my foot.  All very minor compared to the PF and shin splints I suffered with regular running shoes.

Bill

"I can do 440 in 220"    Half Fanatic #846    "90% of running is half mental"    If I collapse, please pause my Garmin

Imminent Catastrophe

Barefoot running is bad, mmmmkay? 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 20/21 July 2013

Boston Marathon 21 April 2014

Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 19/20 July 2014

Speaking of first blood, this story was just posted at Runner's World about a barefoot runner. But frankly, many people wearing shoes also get bit by snakes, so I don't consider this a deterrent.

Barefoot running is bad, mmmmkay? 

Did I start a new catch phrase for whenever someone get's hurt barefooting?