Barefoot Runners

First blood blister (Read 1301 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I got 2 1/4 mi BF in last week, tried a 3+mi run this morning resulting in a blood blister forming at rear corner of right heel. Not sure if its form (thought I heard some foot slapping, but didn't feel it), to much rough asphalt (to further toughen feet), or a few short steps on a crushed gravel trail. I know the trail hurt like heck and I jumped back on some grass really fast! Didn't feel it sting until I got home and started walking around the house. Then took a peak when DW wasn't looking and there it was!

Looks like I'll stay in the VFF's, altered Crocs, and Huaraches for a few weeks. Want to toughen the feet so I can run a spring 5k road race with a bunch of local BF runners. Will have to deal with asphalt no option to get on concreate sidewalks.

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

It took me about a year of actual BF to understand that there is no such thing as toughening your foot.  The more you run BF the softer your foot gets.  What you get from going completely BF is technique.  My technique is not quite there yet but I'm still building up mileage.  I like your reference to DW.  Mine just doesn't understand the concept of BF and questions my sanity every time I get a little boo boo.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sorry about your blister.  I know asphalt comes in all forms from silky smooth to torturously sharp.

And yes, my DW thinks I'm going to end up with railroad spikes through my feet.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

And yes, my DW thinks I'm going to end up with railroad spikes through my feet.

ROFLOL!!! Thanks! Needed that!

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

I too am still learning not to get the BBs. I can run 3 miles w/o blisters. Twice now I've been running barefoot, crossed my 3 mile mark, and said "I'm going to keep running and see how that feels." Both times I ended up running 6 miles barefoot. Both times I got an awesome blister, but wait, it gets better:

If you're running when it's cold (<50'), you can develop blisters and feel nothing while you're doing it. I assume it's because the ground is cold and thus your feet are cold.

For me, both times I didn't know I had given myself a blister until I got into the shower. When the hot water hit the blister, it started to expand and swell. Having a blister ballooning from the inside is not fun. Both times, the blister was under the ball of my right foot. It was 2 inches long, and about an inch wide. Awesome.

I took the Army field medic approach. I took a needle and thread, dipped them into hydrogen peroxide, then lanced the blister when the needle, threading the thread through. That kept the blister from closing so that it could drain over the next day, making walking in shoes much less uncomfortable.

It is curious that you got the blister on the heel; I only get them underneath the balls of my feet. Maybe you're landing on your heel a little? Or pushing off from the heel?

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I do seem to still be heel landing while BF. The last time I ran bf on a rubberized track I could hear my feet slapping which indicated heel strike first. Am trying to change to high knee pumping. As a BF group leader said, like running in high grass. Get the feet up and down straighter. Hope I can get there sooner rather than later. I'd like to run with local Austin BF group in an upcoming 5k race. I'm fairly sure the BB was from landing on that heel and shifting a bit. The left foot was getting irritated in the inside(rt side) ball area but no blister. I think it comes down ok because I baby it - had major calf surgery in '86 so am unbalanced as far as legs go. 

bob e v

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Update. Got in 2.75 mi this evening with a BF running group out of Univ of TX. We ran around Clark Field track then out and around the Capital building and back. No blister problems or hot spots, even with the amount of asphalt road which I generally am not comfortable on. Did pick up a small something in the ball of my right foot tho. Got it out but it left a small cut that is sore. None of the calf issue which have been plaguing me either.

bob e v

way to go man! keep your eyes peeled for railroad spikes. Big grin

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

way to go man! keep your eyes peeled for railroad spikes. Big grin

NOW you tell me! I picked up a small puncture wound on ball of right foot. Small something took small chunk out... Blush no blood and I'll surely survive as long as DW doesn't see it and realize I've been BF'ing! Shocked

bob e v