Barefoot Runners

A little advice: Twisted Knee (Read 233 times)

Beware, batbear...

Hey guys... I was logging some pretty good miles in shoes and then I hit a speed bump - twisted knee. I'm hearing a lot about barefoot running keeping people from getting injured. What about building up some recovery miles barefoot? Your thoughts?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Josh. From what I've seen you say on the main forums, you seem to have a tendency to overdo things a bit much. If you do that while trying to switch over to barefoot running, my fear is that you'll hurt yourself in new and different ways. This is something best done gradually. I had to switch over kinda suddenly due to a foot problem, but my longest run was 1.5 miles at the time... and even that was too long. I really enjoy barefoot running, but it IS a big change of the biomechanics. Be gentle, eh?

Roads were made for journeys...

Beware, batbear...

I've been walking the dog barefoot on a course that's 1.2 miles. My feet have always been tender, so I'm trying to be careful and not hit too many pebbles, but it's a pretty clean course through the neighborhood. I'm wondering - again, once the knee is back - if I can walk 1.2 barefoot, can I run 1.2 barefoot?

Wingz

Professional Noob

I dunno. Worth a try? Big grin My first few (dozen) barefoot runs have been about learning how to land gently and with better form. There seems to be a learning curve...

Roads were made for journeys...

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Sure, go for it. But don't go in with any expectations about pace or distance. 1.2 miles might not sound like a lot, but you'll be starting from scratch. Think of barefoot running as a totally separate sport for which you have zero training. Running barefoot is not a quick fix. But if you invest the time and effort then I do believe you'll be a stronger runner who is less susceptible to injury.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Beware, batbear...

Update: I've been swimming and doing lots of non-running this week, the knee is feeling stronger. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow - I made an appointment over a week ago, and this was the first time I made it in. I guess the swine flu scare has had him booked - plus I'm a new patient having recently moved to this neighborhood. Anyway, hopefully he'll clear me to run a little bit. I'm thinking if I get the go ahead, I'll try my first 1.2 miler tomorrow or Friday. Wish me luck!