Barefoot Runners

Chafing with VFF KSO's (Read 891 times)

Does anyone else get chafing with KSO's?  I get sores on the side of my foot, about two inches back from the end of my big toe (on both feet), caused I think by a seam in the KSO's that's in roughly the same spot.

I've tried running with them looser, tighter, etc, to no avail. i've tried bandages, which just slip off. I thought that after a few months I'd build up some callous there, but that's not working either. It's worse once my feet get wet, which is unavoidable when it's warm out due in part to my feet's inability to stay cool. It's bad enough that I can't do much more than 5K in them, after which my feet are bleeding.

Any ideas on how to prevent this?

thanks

mike

Try putting some new skin on the sensitive spot.

Not a long term solution but might help in the short term.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

ive had the same issue with my classics in a few spots. usually a blister or sore would develop, heal, and wouldnt retur after that. there are a couple problem areas where i use medical tape to cover them up. ive seen people put lining inside the VFF too. you could get some lightweight, thin leather and lay that on the sole, ive heard its super comfy.
          I get this, although apparently not as bad as you.

1. Put vaseline on the spot before you run, even before you put your feet in. If they really are bad blisters, you may need to let them heal up a bit first.

2. Although I have never used them, the Bikila's are supposed to be seamless, thus addressing this issue.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Mine is so bad it bleeds. It even does so while walking long distances. I don't wear my KSOs anymore.

EDIT: I don't think mine are due to the seems at all. Mine appear to be from the plastic portion of the strap pushing inward. The corner of the trapezoidal shape, where it is sewn to the sole, digs into my foot.

Oh roo roooo!

Oh, I can totally relate!  I had the exact same problem.  This product

http://www.goengo.com/

solved it for me.  I found mine at the local running store.  You stick the patch inside your VFF (or shoe or whatever) and man, it really really works!  I had some misgivings about how well they would adhere, but mine have been in there for about a year now and are still going strong.  For about $4, it's worth a try.  I even stuck some in another pair of running shoes that I love but that are coming up on 700 miles and beginning to rub in a similar spot and they work great there too!

For me mole skin or injinjis solve the problem, but I rather not worry about it.

Oh, I can totally relate!  I had the exact same problem.  This product

http://www.goengo.com/

solved it for me.  I found mine at the local running store.  You stick the patch inside your VFF (or shoe or whatever) and man, it really really works!  I had some misgivings about how well they would adhere, but mine have been in there for about a year now and are still going strong.  For about $4, it's worth a try.  I even stuck some in another pair of running shoes that I love but that are coming up on 700 miles and beginning to rub in a similar spot and they work great there too!

Interesting product. I've never heard of it, thanks for sharing.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Mine rub too, right on the inside arch of my feet.  I tried toughing it out for a month, but it never got any better.  I finally went with Injinji toe socks, and instantly, the blisters stopped.    Also a plus, the sock eliminates some of the stinky shoe issues too!