Barefoot Runners

I get to be a guinea pig! (Read 345 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I'm signed up to be in a Vibram-sponsored study of barefoot runners, conducted by a Harvard anthropology prof. And I think I'll be getting free FiveFingers for participating! Which is good, because mine have over a thousand miles on them and they're kinda disgusting-looking, even though they still feel fine. I'll report back on how it goes. I still don't have the specific date yet.
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Imminent Catastrophe

Just make sure they're not planning to dissect you.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Nice work! I wonder if my buddy Chuck has been contacted for that? He frequently wear-tests new Vibrams before they are brought to market.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Queen of 3rd Place

Neat! We'll be waiting for the results! Smile Arla

Ex runner

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Nice work! I wonder if my buddy Chuck has been contacted for that? He frequently wear-tests new Vibrams before they are brought to market.
            But he doesn't share his log so how do you really know?

But he doesn't share his log so how do you really know?
              Because I run with him most weeks and I've gotten to see new models that he is wear testing?

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Because I run with him most weeks and I've gotten to see new models that he is wear testing?
                Indeed. You win this time.
                Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The data collection was today, it was interesting. The researchers taped a bunch of reflectors to different points on my foot, leg, and hip. The reflectors were tracked in three dimensions by five infrared cameras. I had an accelerometer bound to my shin measuring vertical impact. I was running across a pad that measured both horizontal and vertical forces. And I was filmed on a high-speed digital video camera. They explained that the gold-standard in biomechanical studies is to actually embed pins into your bones, to track exactly where each bone is moving. But they had to make do with approximations measured through the skin, which suits me just fine! I ran down a 50 foot test track about 80 times. Some barefoot, some with fivefingers, some in Asics Cumulus. First on a hard surface, and then on a padded surface. They had me adjust my starting point so my right foot would land in the zone where the sensors were. I got to look over the raw data with them. The force measurements were just raw voltages, so it's hard to draw conclusions until after they're standardized in Gs, but they said it looked like my overall impact was pretty low. The video was interesting, it confirmed that my heels do touch the ground first, but my forefoot rotates downward rather quickly and appears to takes a lot of the load. In the video, it looked like my form barefoot and in fivefingers was identical, whereas in the Asics it was different. They shared a couple interesting observations. They've observed that habitually barefoot runners are very consistent (in terms of repeatedly hitting the sensor pad) while barefoot, and then all over the place in shoes. Habitually shod runners are the opposite -- consistent foot placement with shoes on, and then all over the place while barefoot. They also observed (in an earlier study) that when people learn to run barefoot, their ability to run in shoes actually increases too, in terms of reduced impact. And they've also found that it's harder to keep the sensors attached firmly to the barefoot runners, because they have more soft tissue (muscle and fat) in their feet. They're going to send me detailed results in a couple months after they've gone through it all, including the video. Definitely looking forward to getting it and hopefully posting it.
                  bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Great report! Did you get your free goods?
                    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Great report! Did you get your free goods?
                      Not yet, I'm supposed to get them by mail from Vibram.

Queen of 3rd Place

Interesting stuff, thanks for that! I really liked the bit about barefoot runners having more soft tissue in their feet - it's so obvious, but something I had not thought through. Oh, and one whole mile BF with no next day soreness!! Big grin Arla

Ex runner

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Oh, and one whole mile BF with no next day soreness!!
                          Congrats!