Barefoot Runners

Racing barefoot (Read 347 times)

Half Fanatic #846

Has anyone run a race barefooted recently, or plan to do so? I'm more interested in your BF racing thoughts, tips and experiences than in placing or times. What kind of surfaces did you run on? Length of race? Any flak from the RD? Was it all BF, VFF, or ? How did weather affect you? Any injuries? I'm in the beginning stages of BF'ing but will consider a 3K or 5K on asphalt in a few months, then a 20K (dirt) in the fall. So, I don't have a BF race under my belt yet, but I'm looking forward to doing it. Anyone else? Bill Cool

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Rudolf

to answer some of teh questions : I only recently started to use near BF or BF in racing. have done 1 run race 10 km in Fife fingers, absolutely no issue with organizers, liots of questions and laughs and jokes from fellow runners/walkers have done 2 racewalks on track - red tartan BF, it was masters night, nobody cares as far as organizers, lots of question, jokes etc from fellow athletes, last night it was 3000m racewalk it was after run I did put some tape on 2 toes of each foot and on teh front of teh foot, during rcae teh tape become wet and loose and some of it fell of but no blisters. My technique was exellent, pace very fast (woukld have been slower in shoes) could go longer if the race was longer. comming 10km funrun sunday and I am choosing between taped BF and fivefingers, will check the quality of the road first I guess. on the track as I pass slower runners / walkers who were joking about BF I just say to them - it must be tough to carry the shoes around ?
      Rudolf

did another 10 km race in vibram 5F, this time the course was flat but very strong wind, road and hard concrete was surface. This time I was 3 minutes faster, getting used to new biomechanics, had patches of really good feeling fast easy pace and patches of hard labor and inneficiency. more practice needed. after race walking in shops in negative heel shoes to force stretching and recovery. it was in between heavy rains lots of water on the course, otherwise I was considering to go trully BF with taping of some more sensitive spots, hoping for some dry oportunities in future.
        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

In the last couple months I've done a 5k and a marathon in FiveFingers. No truly barefoot races yet, but I'm looking forward to some in the spring as soon as I'm ready.
          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
            Ed, Wondering about marathoning in FF's. I've just started but seem to tolerate an hour really well already. How long, or how much mileage would you think one should have in FF's prior to attempting a marathon? Specifically wondering if a June marathon would be a possibility, will probably do 25 mpw in the FF's on the treadmill this winter with another 25 mpw outdoors in low support trail shoes. Thanks! AH
            www.mnultrarunner.blogspot.com
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I think you have plenty of time to get ready by June. As the weather gets warmer, experiment with mixing FiveFingers and barefooting -- I think you'll make very good progress.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              barefoot nick

I completed the Omaha marathon in September wearing the VFF. I was training all summer in NIKE shoes but had a slight Achilles tear. I started wearing the VFF 100% of the time and everything went well. I got up to about 40 miles per week in the VFF before the marathon. They are a good transition from completely shod to completely barefoot.