Barefoot Runners

102 degrees 57% humidity - Ouch that's a hot sidewalk (Read 274 times)

Certainly Something...

-Mainly posting because I like talking with you guys about barefoot running.

I went out yesterday and started off in the vibrams.  I've been keeping distance low, and will be for the rest of the month to get a good solid base on my feet and on my form.  I usually end up taking off my vibrams because I tend to move around in them more than I should.  This is just because i don't get as much feedback in them as I do barefoot.  I could only go half a mile though alternating between grass and the sidewalk. 

I fear the grass, because Im' not in the nicest neighborhood.  So far I haven't hit anything in that grass that messes me up yet, but who knows!  I just try to stay relaxed and slow so that I won't be to tired to roll my weight off anything I hit. 

I do have to say that my increased pure barefoot running is reducing my virbam incident of blisters.  Though I've started landing midfoot more in my normal shoes, which with the heels on them looks like I land completely flat footed.  Well heels compared to vibrams. Hopefully I don't look too idiot, but I can't help but want to land there. 

Anyways, just saying what up! Hope you are all having a great time out there!
    Wingz

Professional Noob

That does sound like a hot sidewalk!  Do you find that Vibrams generally keep the sidewalk from becoming too hot?  I know there are times when roads & black pavement feels like it's literally cooking my bare feet.  Haven't tried Vibrams on it yet - just moved to an earlier run. Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

Certainly Something...

I really did not notice the heat that much when I wearing my VFFs.  The sole seemed to provide enough insulation to keep me pretty comfortable.  I was randomly switching back and forth between the grass and sidewalk on those. I dont like straight lines all that much. The thought: "My feet are hot," didn't come into play with the vibrams.   When I was running barefoot, I'd make it about 10 to 15 yards before I jump back into the grass.  I don't have the biggest calluses though. 

I'm still working on my ability to crawl out of bed before I absolutely have to.  Friday night I ran in the dark, stepped on all sorts of things still felt good though.  My roommate thinks I'm super man because I leave the house wearing nothing but shorts.  He apparently think he needs to get swoll before he starts running though.

Certainly Something...

Went out in 107 Degree heat today for my two miles:

1 My form broke down a couple of times. But I learned more of exactly what I need to do.

2 Yes Vibrams start to heat up after awhile on sidewalk.  I stayed on there just to find out.  The great thing is they cool off fairly quickly in the grass and seem to take a bit to heat up on pavement.  I might switch to huaraches next time I go out.

3 because of the heat I got some blisters, and also because it was hard to keep form in 107 degree heat.

Hope you all have successful days!

Wingz

Professional Noob

107???  Where are you, southern Texas?

Roads were made for journeys...

Certainly Something...

That's what they said on NPR.  Weather.gov when I got done 20 minutes later said 105.  Wichita Kansas.  ICT!!!!!!!!

Actually, because I've been drinking.  I'm going to post more.  So we went to the wingnuts game (Baseball) about 40 minutes after my run.  I was still sweating cus my body hadn't cooled down yet even after the shower and 20 minutes standing in front of the fan.  We get there and I convience my friends we only need general admission because the bleachers are fine.  We step inside and get upgraded to sky box!  So we get through 3 and a half innings before it rain delays for an hour.  They put on field of dreams while we wait and end up starting up.  At the end it was like a total of 50 people in the stand and anything we yelled could be heard.  Pretty fun we won!!!  Alright, that's my drunk aside.

I am going to come up to ICT just to mess with you. You must be an airline guy to know ICT is the code. If you are an airline guy I used to work for the people who put me in 4d or 6fSmile

Let's raceSmile

Ben in Norman

Certainly Something...

I work for an Aircraft company, but I'm not sure what 4d or 6f are. Everyone my age who's from Wichita refers to it as ICT though.  I also like to throw in an "Air Capital of the WORLD!!!!"

But yeah, we may have to do some running.  I'm doing all my running minimalist.  So I've been fairly low mileage while trying to figure out my form.  My goal is to eventually make weekends out of going to wildlife areas and running 15 or so miles around and just exploring.  I'd go to a race for fun with you though! You could even trounce me and claim victory while I run it for fun.  Smile