Barefoot Runners

Vibram rubbing (Read 509 times)

jeffdonahue

I picked up a pair of Vibram FF KSOs yesterday and took them out for their inaugural run today at lunch.  I did about 1.25 miles in them and it felt like they were rubbing against the inside of my foot.  I then took them off and went BF back to the gym.

has anyone else had this problem with the VFFs and how did you fix it.  I dont want to get blisters.

Thanks

Jeff

I picked up a pair of Vibram FF KSOs yesterday and took them out for their inaugural run today at lunch.  I did about 1.25 miles in them and it felt like they were rubbing against the inside of my foot.  I then took them off and went BF back to the gym.

has anyone else had this problem with the VFFs and how did you fix it.  I dont want to get blisters.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

I have run in sprints and classics, but I don't know how applicable this is the KSO's. 

First of all, I would hope that the shoes that you have are sized correctly.  An obvious one of course.

Second, perhaps you're simply running too far in them too quickly.  Your feet need time to adapt to those, just like anything else.  Some folks have reported success with wearing the toe socks (http://www.injinjistore.com/). I have never used them so can't advise.

Finally, I have had to tight or loosen my sprints by experimenting to get the appropriate amount of tension. I imagine the KSO's would present similar trials.

Good luck and let me know if you find a good resolution, I've got some Flow's getting shipped out for the winter and may experience similar issues.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

jeffdonahue

Yeah, I might have to check the sizing.  I went to the store, and tried on a few different sizes but really should have measured my foot.  The guy that was there asked what size I wore and I said 12 (my size for regular running shoes) so he looked up 12" on the Vibram chart and brought me the 47s.

They were freaking huge - my toes didnt even get to the toe-holes.  I kept going down till I settled on the 44s.  But I did just measure my foot now using a ruler I have in my desk and my foot is 11" exactly heel to big toe, which should mean I need the 43s.

I might try to head back this week and try on the 43s to see if they feel better.

I guess my next question would be "How should they fit?"  How far into the toe-hole should your big toe go?  There is obviously more room in the little toes, but my big to does go under the rubber tip at the end, but maybe the next size down would fit better.

Thanks

Jeff

Imminent Catastrophe

Keep in mind also, the Classic/Sprint fit is different from the KSO. I wear a size larger in Classics than I do in KSO.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Queen of 3rd Place

You might want to try the Injinji socks.

Ex runner

jeffdonahue

Ugh.  I think I have to pack up the Vibrams.  Not cause I want to.

My mother-in-law called up my wife all excited because a guy came into her office today (she's a nurse) wearing Vibrams and he told her all about them so now she wants to get them for me for Christmas.  I hadn't told my wife I had bought them yet (used my poker money to buy them) so now she insists that I dont buy a pair for myself but that I go down to the store, get fitted and buy a pair for her to give to my mother-in-law to wrap for Christmas.

On the up-side, I'll get them for free now (and my MIL is super excited that she foudn a gift I really want)

Later

Jeff

Ugh.  I think I have to pack up the Vibrams.  Not cause I want to.

My mother-in-law called up my wife all excited because a guy came into her office today (she's a nurse) wearing Vibrams and he told her all about them so now she wants to get them for me for Christmas.  I hadn't told my wife I had bought them yet (used my poker money to buy them) so now she insists that I dont buy a pair for myself but that I go down to the store, get fitted and buy a pair for her to give to my mother-in-law to wrap for Christmas.

On the up-side, I'll get them for free now (and my MIL is super excited that she foudn a gift I really want)

Later

Jeff

Don't worry Jeff, I have the perfect solution for you. Have the MIL get one type of Vibram and you buy another ;-)

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

You might want to try the Injinji socks.

+++ 1 - I cannot run in Vibrams (KSO or Sprint) w/o socks

Ewa

I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                  jeffdonahue

Don't worry Jeff, I have the perfect solution for you. Have the MIL get one type of Vibram and you buy another ;-)

Believe me I'm trying to figure out how to do this.  The problem is that 90% of my runs are done in the town where she lives and she always comments that she sees me out there running all the time.  It would just hurt her feelings if I already was running in a pair (plus, it might piss the wife off).

I was definitely thinking about this cause I was thinking I might like a pair of classics for road and KSOs for trail running, but logistically I might have to wait on both. 

I guess I'll just be straight out barefoot for my BF runs till Christmas. 

Imminent Catastrophe

+++ 1 - I cannot run in Vibrams (KSO or Sprint) w/o socks

Ewa

IF you think you might wear socks, make sure you try the VFFs on with them, my KSOs are too tight in the toes with Injinjis, but my Classics (one size bigger) are more comfortable with them.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jeffdonahue

I ended up going back to the store and returnign for the smaller size.  I took a run in them last night and while I noticed a little rubbing when I first started, it seemed to stop after a quarter mile or so.  I only did a little more than a half mile but they felt pretty good.

Now they are back in a box and on my way to my mother-in-laws house till Christmas.