Barefoot Runners

How long does it take for the soles of your feet to get really tough? (Read 581 times)

I have been running on some really rough asphalt after work, in temperatures around the upper 30s to low 40s degrees fahrenheit.

This is a close approximation of the running surface and there are also micro-gravels.

I thought my feet were getting tougher but they are not yet tough enough, as I developed a deep blister on the ball of my foot here:

I have been alternating days of barefoot running with days of Vibram five Finger shoe running and I did not feel the blister until after the run was finished, about four miles.                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Tenderfoot syndrome appears to be my weakness, although the benefits by running in minimalists shoes has far outweighed this small setback.

How long does it take for the average tenderfoot to get some really tough soles by walking and running barefoot consistently? 

Half Fanatic #846

Glad to see no one has taken the bait.

TROLL  ALERT!

A "Hefty" search yields five pages of results and possibly hundreds of pages of sometimes amusing, yet wasteful epic arguments, all purposely contrived to draw out the most lengthy thread possible.  Even his question contains an obvious hint of controversy.  

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Glad to see no one has taken the bait.

TROLL  ALERT!

A "Hefty" search yields five pages of results and possibly hundreds of pages of sometimes amusing, yet wasteful epic arguments, all purposely contrived to draw out the most lengthy thread possible.  Even his question contains an obvious hint of controversy.  

It doesn't take much to be called a troll here at RA it seems.

How long does it take for the soles of your feet to toughen up?

That seems like a direct and simple question with no controversy and no bait.

Somehow I have done something seriously wrong to earn this troll title and I will be leaving the running ahead forums for good in order to set everyone's mind at rest. I apologize to everyone here.

I wish everyone good luck in your endeavors.