Barefoot Runners

Just tried my new Vibrams (Read 384 times)

I picked up a pair of KSOs yesterday and wore them around in general use.  It didn't feel like I needed to adjust to anything at all... I chalk that up to rarely wearing shoes around the house.  Anyway, after my easy run this morning in my normal shoes, I strapped them on and did about .2 miles to try them for running.

They felt good, though definitely different.  While I try to land mid-foot anyway, these made it much easier to do.  I could feel some strain in parts of my foot that don't usually strain, so I kept it short.

I open to suggestions as to how to proceed... I'm thinking that I'll keep doing a little spin after my easy runs (2-3 times/week), increasing the distance in them a bit, maybe .25 miles/run, each week until I can use them on complete short runs.

I've seen posts suggesting that they be used in conjunction with total barefoot, but with the glass, dog poop and other hazards around here, I just can't see doing that.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Imminent Catastrophe

Relatively new here too. Treadmill is a good way to ease into it. I just had a nice 3-miler today in KSO's.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

When running barefoot or with Vibrams you are using the small muscles, tendons and ligaments in your foot a lot more than with a running shoe.

It takes time to strengthen your foot, ankle and calf/soleus to the point were you feel relaxed and strong.

Imagine if when you were 2 years old someone put a boxing glove on your hand.  You had to wear this glove almost all day long and never use your bare hand to do anything.  Then as an adult you decide to take this damn glove off and use your bare hand to do things.   Your hand would be weak and it would take time to learn the fine motor skills for complicated tasks and to develop strength and endurance in a hand that has been covered up your whole life. 

something like that...

It took me one full year to transition from "shoe-only running" to "donated all my shoes and now I only run barefoot/vibram"  I had to start off slow and relearn how to run based on the input of my feet.  Gradually I regained my former endurance and speed.  I had a bunch of new aches and pains that I have never know before but I eventually adjusted. 

Just like any other form of training follow the principle of gradual progression and be patient with your progress!

The right path is my path.

I spent the first few months wearing the vibrams instead of shoes once a week then twice a week to build up a little strength - and continued that even past when I started running in them until they began getting too muddy.

Now I have a pair that I wear to walk around in that don't get as muddy and I haven't worn street shoes since except when I was at a wedding and when I went to a BBQ (both times of which my wife told me no vibrams.)

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I've seen posts suggesting that they be used in conjunction with total barefoot, but with the glass, dog poop and other hazards around here, I just can't see doing that.

Have you actually tried it?  Most people assume it's going to be a lot worse than it really is.  I doubt your "around here" is any worse than where I run.  Give it a shot and see for yourself.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
            pitrunner

I just got some Vibrams this weekend....but I actually think I like regular ol' barefoot better. Vibrams are hot! And giving me blisters.

I just got some Vibrams this weekend....but I actually think I like regular ol' barefoot better. Vibrams are hot! And giving me blisters.

I work at a printing company so we aren't allowed to wear open-toed shoes - I have a feeling that that includes bare feet.

While I wouldn't want to wear the vibrams if I was spending any time out on the production floor they work out great when I'm at my desk in the IT office.

Run to Win

Imminent Catastrophe

(both times of which my wife told me no vibrams.)

Hmmm, there's a term for this, Can't remember what it is....

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hmmm, there's a term for this, Can't remember what it is....

Hah, well, I wouldn't have worn them to my friend's wedding anyway, although it would have been nice to wear them to the BBQ.  I don't think they'd have been that out of place.

I went for a short run with her yesterday sans shoes.  I knew as soon as she stepped outside that she was going to make a comment and make sure I knew she didn't approve of me running barefoot on our road, but it got swept a few weeks ago and there isn't any glass right now.  It felt good, although we didn't go down to the road with the big puddle so I only got to step in a few little tiny ones, which weren't really that much fun.

Run to Win