Barefoot Runners

Morton's toe & barefoot running? (Read 45 times)

mrmky

Just found out I had this condition. Guess that takes away some of the mystery behind my fragile, repeatedly sprain ankles, blisters on 2 nd toe, and other %^*¥. How big of an obstacle is this for barefoot running?

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I also have Morton's toe.  I would say not an issue for barefoot running.  I stopped getting the 2nd toe blisters after the first time I ran on blistered feet (foot to ground) (I would bet you are pushing off a little bit).  My advice would be to completely forget about having Morton's toe...lots of people do and run successfully, barefoot or otherwise.

**Ask me about streaking**

Hobby Jogger Especial!

I run in huaraches and have Morton's Toe. I agree with Jamezilla, Morton's Toe isn't a big deal. Just get your form dialed in.

SillyC

Morton's toe is blamed for everything from calluses (probably true) to sprained ankles to bad breath.

I have this as well, and like Jamezilla suggests, I'd try to forget about it.  It's a frequent scapegoat, and absolutely doesn't disqualify you from running any way you like.

mrmky

Good to hear. I'm very frustrated because of a achilles problem I've been having. I just got some VFFs and had problems with my 2nd and 3rd toes being cramped.

Do you guys do any shimming/padding on your big toes when you run? I have dabbled in barefoot a couple times before and keep getting blisters behind toe number 2 and on the end of them as well.

Ive run for the last year with a fore/mid foot strike(in shoes) which has cured my sore knees and shins.

sooo, I shouldn't worry about all the horror stories, blisters>calluses>nueroma>stress fractures>orthotics?

just go slow and be patient?

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

The locations you are talking about are the same places I blistered the first time I tried barefoot.  For me, it was a pushing off issue...concentrate on lifting your foot.  What really dialed in the foot strike stuff for me was running barefoot on blistered feet...you won't push off on blistered feet.  Once you get it you will never blister again (barefoot or shod)

Ishave never tried or felt the need to pad the vffs.

**Ask me about streaking**

SillyC

Well, this is a little gross...  but...  here's what happened to me.

Because of the Morton's toe, I used to have two lines of corns going down the balls of my feet, one line between the 1st and 2nd toe, and another between the 2nd and 3rd toe.  They were there for decades.  When I started barefoot running, it felt like there were stones or glass underneath the skin there.  After about three weeks at it, blisters developed over top of the corns.  When the skin came off over the corns, the corns came out along with the skin.  Yuck!

That was in the fall of '09.  After about half a week, the skin was healed up back well enough for me to go out again.  I haven't had problems with those since, although in the winter, when I'm wearing shoes, those areas seem to thicken up a bit.  It's nice to get back out in the spring and let the pavement grind them off.

Pete195y

1. I took up running late in life. I'm almost 60.  I do a mile daily. Walk / run. Depends on how many hours I have worked.  Been diagnosed  with Mortans nueroma.   Likely from 38 yrs of being a nurse.  How long does it take to tolerate  the road ? I always run outside. 
                  rmcj001

Are you asking how long it takes to tolerate running barefoot?  You have a morton's neouroma - that's going to make any running difficult.  Shoes can make that both easier and harder, and no shoes can help or hinder.  (by the way you realize the original post was about Morton's toe - completely different).  Running in normal shoes never had a problem with neuroma, switching to barefoot style (I run in VFFs) and developed a neuroma in right foot within 6 months.  Admittedly, the cause was wearing normal shoes too tight after runs.  To get more to an answer for your question, took me 2 years to adjust to a "natural" style of running.  I've been running in VFFs for 5 years now and with a little luck should do over 2K miles this year.  The neuroma is gone, but still have Morton's toe on both feet 

Ray

akshayv

I have several foot issues (bunions, hammertoe, pronation, and neuroma) and it is hard to find a shoe that I can walk in all day. Well, finally I did! I have Orthofeet's grey and red pair and they look and feel terrific and have great arch support. Will definitely look in to purchasing another pair.

Ad8uu

I didn't know until I read this thread but I guess I also have Morton's foot, I tried the Nike free runs, but I had to give them away after only 4 days.For running shoes, I highly recommend Brooks Ghost https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-running-shoes-for-mortons-neuroma-reviews/ They have a much wider toe box, but they also have lightweight shoes, which was what I liked about the Nike free runs. Definitely, recommend at least trying them out, and they don't have a really thick

akshayv

I have constant serious foot pain, overstep is painful, after a yearlong bout with PF in my heels, it was either quit or do something. I took 2 steroid shots in my feet. orthofeet shoes significantly reduce my pain. I can walk further which in turn is good for the pain. I will not wear another shoe.  And i'm back to 8 hrs a day on my feet.