Barefoot Runners

Morton's toe & barefoot running? (Read 23 times)

mrmky

Just found out I had this condition. Guess that takes away some of the mystery behind my fragile, repeatedly sprain ankles, blisters on 2 nd toe, and other %^*¥. How big of an obstacle is this for barefoot running?

jamezilla

Follower of Forrest

I also have Morton's toe.  I would say not an issue for barefoot running.  I stopped getting the 2nd toe blisters after the first time I ran on blistered feet (foot to ground) (I would bet you are pushing off a little bit).  My advice would be to completely forget about having Morton's toe...lots of people do and run successfully, barefoot or otherwise.

6/21 - Manitou's Revenge 54mi

A man may never run the same trail twice for it is not the same trail and he is not the same man

Hobby Jogger Especial!

I run in huaraches and have Morton's Toe. I agree with Jamezilla, Morton's Toe isn't a big deal. Just get your form dialed in.

SillyC

Morton's toe is blamed for everything from calluses (probably true) to sprained ankles to bad breath.

I have this as well, and like Jamezilla suggests, I'd try to forget about it.  It's a frequent scapegoat, and absolutely doesn't disqualify you from running any way you like.

mrmky

Good to hear. I'm very frustrated because of a achilles problem I've been having. I just got some VFFs and had problems with my 2nd and 3rd toes being cramped.

Do you guys do any shimming/padding on your big toes when you run? I have dabbled in barefoot a couple times before and keep getting blisters behind toe number 2 and on the end of them as well.

Ive run for the last year with a fore/mid foot strike(in shoes) which has cured my sore knees and shins.

sooo, I shouldn't worry about all the horror stories, blisters>calluses>nueroma>stress fractures>orthotics?

just go slow and be patient?

jamezilla

Follower of Forrest

The locations you are talking about are the same places I blistered the first time I tried barefoot.  For me, it was a pushing off issue...concentrate on lifting your foot.  What really dialed in the foot strike stuff for me was running barefoot on blistered feet...you won't push off on blistered feet.  Once you get it you will never blister again (barefoot or shod)

Ishave never tried or felt the need to pad the vffs.

6/21 - Manitou's Revenge 54mi

A man may never run the same trail twice for it is not the same trail and he is not the same man

SillyC

Well, this is a little gross...  but...  here's what happened to me.

Because of the Morton's toe, I used to have two lines of corns going down the balls of my feet, one line between the 1st and 2nd toe, and another between the 2nd and 3rd toe.  They were there for decades.  When I started barefoot running, it felt like there were stones or glass underneath the skin there.  After about three weeks at it, blisters developed over top of the corns.  When the skin came off over the corns, the corns came out along with the skin.  Yuck!

That was in the fall of '09.  After about half a week, the skin was healed up back well enough for me to go out again.  I haven't had problems with those since, although in the winter, when I'm wearing shoes, those areas seem to thicken up a bit.  It's nice to get back out in the spring and let the pavement grind them off.