Barefoot Runners

First Pair of Huaraches (Read 1045 times)

I made my first pair of Huaraches. I am going to try running in them tonight. The only concern I have so far is the lacing between my toes. Walking around in them, they seem to rub a little between the big toe and the second toe. Other than that I like them a lot.

i definitely want to know the result. i have barely worked in my VFFs and they can get annoying. at this point i would rather wear nothing but its not fun stamping stones into my soles
        i definitely want to know the result. i have barely worked in my VFFs and they can get annoying. at this point i would rather wear nothing but its not fun stamping stones into my soles

Well the Huaraches I made have thinner soles, but there is no reason why one couldn't make them thicker. The stone issue is something you actually get use to, it took me wearing them all the time to get to that point though. My biggest issue with VFF KSO is that the instep is too narrow and rubs. Even after almost 70 miles it still has a tendency to rub. I will post my first impressions after my run.

Huaraches Maker

If the lace rubs between your toes, it's usually because of one of these two causes:

1) Your foot is too far forward on the sole.

The solution is to loosen the heel cord, which will allow your foot to move further back... then tighten the toe cord a bit so that it's still snug, but not too tight

2) Your footstrike is pushing into the cord somehow.

The key to fixing that it: attention. See if you can feel where in your stride the cord hits between your toes... then experiment to see what you can do to change that.

When you have really good barefoot form, you can run in huaraches no matter how loose/tight the cord is without a problem. That said, you'll find a tension for the different sections of the lace that feel best for you.

Remember, the Tarahumara could run for hundreds of miles without rubbing/blistering...  which implies that there's something about the way they're tied or the way the foot moves in huaraches that makes the difference.

In an odd way, finding the right tension is a bit of an art... you experiment a bit and then, AHA, you know exactly the way that feels and works best for you.

-Steven

Well, I ran 2.4 miles in the rain. The rubbing between my toes was not an issue. It seems to mostly happen while walking. I do need to work on the lacing though. It was weird running in Huaraches, because it felt like not having shoes on, but then again like having shoes on. I like running in them, but I definitely need to build confidence. I say this because I was slowing on the down hills. I was worried that my foot was going to slide forward. Overall, I like my Huaraches and they are easy to make.

If the lace rubs between your toes, it's usually because of one of these two causes:

1) Your foot is too far forward on the sole.

The solution is to loosen the heel cord, which will allow your foot to move further back... then tighten the toe cord a bit so that it's still snug, but not too tight

2) Your footstrike is pushing into the cord somehow.

The key to fixing that it: attention. See if you can feel where in your stride the cord hits between your toes... then experiment to see what you can do to change that.

When you have really good barefoot form, you can run in huaraches no matter how loose/tight the cord is without a problem. That said, you'll find a tension for the different sections of the lace that feel best for you.

Remember, the Tarahumara could run for hundreds of miles without rubbing/blistering...  which implies that there's something about the way they're tied or the way the foot moves in huaraches that makes the difference.

In an odd way, finding the right tension is a bit of an art... you experiment a bit and then, AHA, you know exactly the way that feels and works best for you.

-Steven

I was originally just going to ignore this, but I can't. The argument that my experience should be the same as the Tarahumara is ridiculous. I don't even wear flip flop, so why would you assume that someone like my self would not be irritated by something between their toes just because someone that has been wearing Huaraches every day of their life doesn't? I would say that there is bound to be some irritation, but the irritation I have experienced is minimal. Additionally, you contradict yourself by saying that with perfect form it doesn't matter about lacing, but then state that finding the perfect tension is a bit of an art.

Huaraches Maker

I was originally just going to ignore this, but I can't. The argument that my experience should be the same as the Tarahumara is ridiculous. I don't even wear flip flop, so why would you assume that someone like my self would not be irritated by something between their toes just because someone that has been wearing Huaraches every day of their life doesn't? I would say that there is bound to be some irritation, but the irritation I have experienced is minimal. Additionally, you contradict yourself by saying that with perfect form it doesn't matter about lacing, but then state that finding the perfect tension is a bit of an art.

My intention was not to argue that your experience should be the same as the Tarahumara. What inspired me to say that was actually remembering when I was learning to ride my odd, front wheel drive recumbent bike. When I first got on it, it was REALLY hard to balance... but the memory of the videos of people who could start and ride the bike without using their hands reminded me that it was possible to have a different experience than the one I was having... and that, possibly, if I experimented, I might find a way to do that (which I did).

I know people who put on huaraches and never have any irritation. And all of the people I've spoken with who did have irritation found that it abated with either a lacing change or a form change.

I'm not sure it's contradictory to say that with perfect form, the lacing tension doesn't matter as much... and then say finding the perfect tension is a bit of an art. I was referring to two different phenomenon. Phenomenon number 1 is contained completely in the first statement about lacing matters less if your form is good. (Separate) Phenomenon number 2 is, in lieu of perfect form, finding the way to lace them that you like is not something that's a matter of having specific, definable lengths and tensions in the lace... that it's a personal preference. I'm also referring to the feedback I've received where, when someone mentions irritation between the toes, it has usually been solved by moving the foot back on the sole while simultaneously tightening the toe strap a bit (so the sole is still secured to the foot and doesn't flop around).

In short, I'm merely saying that IMHO (from my experience and from that with other customers), irritation between the toes is a solvable issue, but it may take experimenting to find the solution.

-Steven

I agree that it is probably a lacing issue. I am still working on this, but I would expect a little irritation from the lace in general, since my feet are not use to it.

Anyway, Huaraches are by far my favorite running gear. I ran two days with them and then ran in my VFF KSO; I felt as though the VFF were clunky and clumsy. I would certainly suggest anyone to run in Huaraches. It felt even more effortless to run in Huaraches than VFFs and I am surprised that they made that much of a difference. I haven't had this feeling while running since I was a teenager, and I am glad I made a pair. Now I just have to figure out what to do in the winter. Smile

EDIT: Okay, I added some slack to the heel straps and then tightened the straps that go over my foot (I am using the lacing method as described on invisible) and now things seems much better.

Huaraches Maker

Needless to say, I agree (re: huaraches vs. VFFs) ;-)

And glad to hear that loosening the heel strap helped!

-Steven

(BTW, can I quote you on our Reviews page? And, if so, care to email me a picture and/or real name?)

I prefer to not have anything posted except where it appears to be impartial and not anywhere in which sales matter. I don't like to be used as a means to sell product. By me posting it here, people get to be influenced only by the experiences I post and get to then decide where to get their materials.

A bit of an update. I finally seem to have the lacing down. It really is tricky to get that lacing perfect, but once you do, these things are amazing. VFFs are getting put in the closet until winter.

Imminent Catastrophe

Do you get debris/sand/small rocks under your feet much?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Yes, I get a small rock and sand every so often. It doesn't normally stay there long and it doesn't generally bother me.

Huaraches Maker

I prefer to not have anything posted except where it appears to be impartial and not anywhere in which sales matter. I don't like to be used as a means to sell product. By me posting it here, people get to be influenced only by the experiences I post and get to then decide where to get their materials.

Understood, and appreciated!

Thanks again.

-Steven

Huaraches Maker

A bit of an update. I finally seem to have the lacing down. It really is tricky to get that lacing perfect, but once you do, these things are amazing. VFFs are getting put in the closet until winter.

Speaking of putting away your VFFs, I've gotten 3 emails today from people saying the same thing... and saying they sure won't miss the SMELL ;-)