Barefoot Runners

Found my limit again (Read 443 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

It's been quite a while since I felt limited by my feet, but yesterday I definitely hit that point.  I ran 19.3 miles in a cool rain, with the second half at marathon pace.  My feet got tender by about mile 17 and I found it hard to keep my pace up, and by 19 I was ready to walk the last bit. 

Fast running seems to put a lot more pressure on the feet.  No surprise there, but I'm just realizing that I should have spent more time this summer at race pace if I want to run a fast marathon.  I've done shorter, faster races without problems, but going beyond 25k at race pace is something I haven't really practiced.

I had no injury or wear or blisters, just very tender soles.  It feels very much like I used to feel whenever pushing to a new mileage, so I'm confident I can train through this limit too.  But probably not before the Cape Cod Marathon (Oct 25).  So I may fall back to FiveFingers in order to retain my chances of breaking three hours. 

The good news is that otherwise I felt great.  My aerobic base is at least as good as it's ever been, and 19 miles felt quite comfortable, other than the sore feet.  I was actually aiming for a round 20 miles but miscalculated my turnaround point.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
    wanderingoutlaw

Breaking three house with or without shoes sounds pretty awesome to me.  I hope I break four hours whenever I run another marathon--hopefully next year.

John

Wait a minute Ed, you don't have limits.  Come on now!

It seems like folks say that the wetness makes their soles sorer, faster. Perhaps it's the increased friction.  I always felt it was a cooling presence and felt it was helpful. 

But I can't say I've ever run that far or fast barefoot, so limits it is.  Good luck on your continued training.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I enjoy running in the rain most of the time.  But after soaking in cold water for two hours, you start to get the prune effect, and it seems like your soles get soggy and soft. 

By the way Rob, I just checked out shodless.com, and I have to say the picture at the top is both hilarious and slightly disgusting. 
          jeffdonahue

Good luck breaking 3 hours - Cape Cod is a tough course.  I ran it a few years back - lots of hills in that second half.
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Yeah, I agree about the course.  I ran it once eight years ago, it felt extremely hilly.

I have no idea whether I have a 2:59 in me for that course, and there's only one way to find out.

you warriors embarass meSmile I suck at the 2 mile mark----Ed you are the manSmile