Barefoot Runners

Pulled Calf muscle advice (Read 2092 times)

Well, it's been almost a week since I did 2.4 miles in my Vibram's fivefingers. My calves were sore all last week, but felt better by Friday, but now my left calf feels like a pulled muscle. I tried to run Saturday, and it hurt so bad, I couldln't run at all. Yesterday, I just walked for 3 miles. Any idea how long a pulled muscle takes to heal, and should I try to run tomorrow ?

- Anya

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I would give it plenty of rest and massage and see how you feel in a few days. I recently overworked my calf too, doing some trails that were a bit beyond my ability, too soon after my marathon. I think it was a minor strain. A few days off and then a few days of very short, easy runs and it's back to normal.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        I would give it plenty of rest and massage and see how you feel in a few days. I recently overworked my calf too, doing some trails that were a bit beyond my ability, too soon after my marathon. I think it was a minor strain. A few days off and then a few days of very short, easy runs and it's back to normal.
        Thanks Ed. You know, it does feel a little better today. I'll play it by ear for tomorrows run. It's so crazy, trying to get used to the new style, but it works out, since I'm still rehabbing from my IT band. I won't tell you I burned my feet Saturday, when I walked barefoot on the track. Yes, I even have blisters. Not too bright, I admit.

- Anya

Beware, batbear...

I'm wondering how you're repairing, Anya? I noticed my left calf was also pretty tight yesterday. I got out and ran a short distance today, but it feels like I've got a huge knot in my calf. Anyone else experience this? I'm wondering if it's from the barefoot (because that's when it started for me - yesterday I did a little over a mile barefoot in the middle of my 6 mile run).

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

I'm wondering how you're repairing, Anya? I noticed my left calf was also pretty tight yesterday. I got out and ran a short distance today, but it feels like I've got a huge knot in my calf. Anyone else experience this? I'm wondering if it's from the barefoot (because that's when it started for me - yesterday I did a little over a mile barefoot in the middle of my 6 mile run).
            I have been transitioning to VFF after several years or running in Nike Free. I am noticing that my calf muscles are quite tight and sore. I am not sure about knots but they do feel harder than normal. I started stretching exercises and that seems to help quite a bit. Right now i am up to 4 easy, slow miles in VFF. I walk around the house barefoot (always have), hike and VFF and walk in them whenever I can. Ewa
            I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
              http://thestick.com/ - I don't work there or anything like that. It helped me, and I had the same tightness you guys do. Just remember when you're doing it, if it hurts a little, work that knot out.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Beware, batbear...

Well, my "calf knot" turned into a calf pull. I did two easy days, running a little over a mile, very slowly, on each day. Then I went out on Tuesday and got two miles into my run and the muscle just totally cramped up. I had to walk home and it was the most painful walk of my life. I went back to the doctor today to get the results of my "well patient visit." Good news on that end - I don't appear to have inherited my family's problems with cholesterol...yet. However, he gave me the news that I knew I should have listened to the first time. I have to give the knee a full two weeks rest from running. Blech... Dead Anyway, I ponied up 66 bucks for a month's gym membership at the local Y which has a pool, so it won't be a total loss. I like to swim...maybe I'll use the time to finally learn how to flip turn. I was hoping to do a marathon in the fall.... crap. Black eye

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

UPdate: My calf is feeling much better!!!!!!! Yay!!!! I still have not run yet. I"m going to give it another week, or so. I don't want to start from scratch again. . I have been walking in my Vibrams. Love the looks. Especially this week, since all the rich people are in town for Graduation. Just sitting here waiting for Marine One to fly over.... Love Commissioning week in Annapolis.

- Anya

My calf is feeling much better!!!!!!! Yay!!!! I still have not run yet. I"m going to give it another week, or so. I don't want to start from scratch again.
                    Anya - this is GREAT news......but please be cautions about trying to do too much and especially at first.......maybe a mile a day for 5 or 6 days and then 'SLOWLY' graduate up from there...... You'll be running a HALF Marathon sooner then you think....Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

Anya - this is GREAT news......but please be cautions about trying to do too much and especially at first.......maybe a mile a day for 5 or 6 days and then 'SLOWLY' graduate up from there...... You'll be running a HALF Marathon sooner then you think....Big grin

John,

I promise!  I am not going to push it.   I'm just walking now and doing core work.

When I do go for my first run, I am going to do no more than a half mile or so.  I'm talking baby, baby baby steps.   I don't want to start over.  It's really been almost 2 months since I've really run.  It's awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Enjoy your run for me!!!!

- Anya

Ahhhhhhhh, damn, I too went too far with the fivefinger freaks and pulled a calf muscle.  Kind of stupid, on a business trip back east, very cold, went out for an hour run, 1/2 way through (and 4 miles out) someone slipped a knife into the middle of my left calf.  Never had that happen before.  Nearly hypothermic before staggering back into the hotel.

I've been running on the freaks for about 2 weeks now, practicing forefoot strikes for  3 weeks prior in my old trail runners. Calves have been rather tight and sore.  Shouldn't have been so dumb.  Oh well.  Was hoping ya'll would have a magic pill to make it all better.

Sad

Imminent Catastrophe

I've been building up my VFF/BF mileage but after a sprained ankle, mid-foot striking was just not possible. I had to go back to the supportive shoes until it recovered. I treat it like having a cast on, you just have to protect the injured area and let it heal.

BTW I sprained it on an easy run in running shoes. I'm pretty sure that my base of VFF running has strengthened my calves and ankles and that the sprain could have been much worse otherwise.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016