Barefoot Runners

New to group (Read 302 times)

Hello. New here. I decided to search to see if RA had a barefoot group and ,Wala! My name is Greg Lowe. I bit on the barefoot running idea two years ago and have flirted with it off and on. I began running on the trails at the same time and got some sandals as a concession. I am primarily a trail runner. I ended up running the VT50 in sandals, finishing in 11:12. I got some nueroma's from that which have bothered me off and on since. I am currently starting to do my road mileage barefoot. I started with a half mile two weeks ago, 1.5 last week, and 4.25 today. Today was too much and I got some blood blisters from being too aggressive going downhill. My feet are sore/tired too, kind of like after a hard weight workout (former powerlifter). It was a gorgeous day here in suburban Philly however. Clear skies, 32 degrees. The pavement was black asphalt and warm when in the direct sunlight. I love running barefoot and can't wait to do more. I'm going to check in regularly and hope to get to know some of y'all.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Half Fanatic #846

Welcome, Buddo! We're a small group - maybe 35 of us and 10 or 12 "regulars". Looking forward to your input. BTW, what kind of sandals did you wear in the VT50?

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I ran the VT 50 in Hi-Tec V-Lite Sirroco's after Micah True, who lives and runs with the Tarahumara, recommended them. I find them a little soft however. I also run in Merrell Continum series, Chamaeleon II Clip sandals.They have a buckle across the toes and across the arch with heel strap.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Another 3 miles barefoot today. 42 degrees, wet asphalt. Hurt and very cold for first 2 miles. Worse than two days ago when pavement was dry and 32 degrees out. Blisters along outside of left foot on the strip between the ball and the heel, just below the heel. Still toughening up soles. Put my Chamaleon II Clips on for remaining 2 miles. Comments: "Chilly." from a bike rider. another bike rider, slowing down to look at me, " I had to slow down to make sure it was for real." I said, yeah, they're my feet.

Is anybody here?

I am impressed you ran outside in 30 to 40 degree weather. I have been running barefoot on a treadmill, waiting for the snow to melt before going outside. I walked accross my garage cement floor barefoot a couple times this winter. The cold was very painful. My wife recommended I get a tetanus shot before running outside barefoot. http://www3.acep.org/patients.aspx?id=26078

Half Fanatic #846

Is anybody here?
                Hopefully warmer weather (spring) will bring out some interesting discussions from people being more active with barefooting. I think a lot of us are plodding along on the dreadmill, not doing as much BFing. Being a Florida cold weather wienie and 62, my tolerance for cold is less. Although I have raced at 34F I didn't like the cold at first, but I did warm up eventually! I haven't tried it BF in the cold yet.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Well, it is nordic ski season for me right now, so no barefoot running. See you all at spring Smile
                    On the 32 degree day, the pavement was dry and the black asphalt in the direct sunlight was actually nice. Yesterday, it was overcast, 42 degrees and the pavement was wet. Ouch!! That hurt a lot more and I couldn't take anymore after 3 miles. Today, in the 20's, wind chill of 10. I may do 1 mile then don everything else (socks, sandals). I want to get some VFF. Hope to converse more. See ya. Havanarnr, where in Florida are you? I am a transplanted Floridian.

Half Fanatic #846

Havanarnr, where in Florida are you? I am a transplanted Floridian.
                      Tallahassee for the last 12 years, but retiring to Washington state probably in 2010 (apparently I don't get enough rain where I am now Clowning around ).

I want to get some VFF.
                        I've put over 230 miles on mine pluse two weeks of hiking in Yosemite and they show no signs of wear. I'm in Tampa. What part of Florida are you from?
                          Little late in replying. I lived all over Florida. Miami, Melbourne, Ocala, Temple Terrace (Tampa. USF), Sarasota, Port Charlotte. I moved around for work and schooling. I moved there after high school, though I lived in Miami from K-3, and feel like I became my own person there. I love and miss it. It's a very diverse state.