Barefoot Runners

Prototype Minimal Running Slippers $7 (Read 601 times)

Just finishing up bonding on the leather,  I'll be doing a trial 2 mile run in my new running slippers on Sunday... The idea came to me out on a run the other day (seems like all my wacky ideas & dreams happen during a run)

For those interested, here is what I'm using and how they are put together:

1- pair of  Ironman Ultimax socks

1- pair of the light weight insoles taken out of an old pair of running shoes

1- 8 1/2 x 11 piece of leather

1- Tube of Shurebonder 9001 Adhesive

First, I spread a liberal amount of adhesive on the top of the insoles. Next, put on the socks and centered my feet and stood on the insoles. I then gently walked on them to help set-up the bond and to make sure insoles were centered. After 10 minutes or so, gently removed them from my feet as to not shift the bond while the adhesive dries.. That was yesterday. Today, I am bonding leather to the bottom of the insoles...

According to the mfg., the 9001 adhesive needs 24 hrs to fully set with maximum strength at 72 hrs. I wanted to use a product that  was both waterproof and flexible and what would bond fabric, rubber and leather..

As to how these are going to hold up and how many miles I'm going to get out of these puppy's is yet to be seen. But I have to say, so far, they feel wonderful-"almost" like barefoot...

"Experience is not what happens to you, but what you do with what happens to you."
      This thread is useless without pictures. Shame on you.

This thread is useless without pictures. Shame on you.

I know- the wife's got my camera and out of town for a week...

Just trimmed off the excess leather, but they feel a little thick. Going to make another pair using just the socks and leather and forget the insole...

I will update after running in both pairs, and get some pictures up soon as I can...

"Experience is not what happens to you, but what you do with what happens to you."

I have to say after running almost 2 miles in my new prototypes, think these are going to be a winner... What I liked:

1. They fit like second skin- By making them while on your feet using the flexible adhesive, they conform to your "own" feet, not a generic foot. Which, as we all know is impossible for a shoe manufacturer to do. Nobody has exactly the same foot.-Even though there is approximately 4-5 mm. of thickness on the sole, it "feels" like my foot is touching the ground and can feel the separation of the foots natural contact points (toes-ball- heel) In other words I don't feel like I'm standing in a shoe... 2. They are cheap. No, let me rephrase that- They are inexpensive...

What I don't like: Although I used the highest quality of socks I had in my drawer at the time, they fit a little low on the back of the heel. There was a slight sensation feeling like they were going to fall off while running, but didn't.  I'm definitely  going to use a sock that  goes up the ankle a bit more on my next pair... I should have my camera back to document the next pair.