Barefoot Runners

Barefoot is bad, mmkay? (Read 540 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Sometimes.

78-year-old man burned crossing Phoenix street barefoot

Be careful out there, that pavement can be hot!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

One of the women in the GCI 50k this weekend ran it barefoot.

I was worried the pavement might get too hot given that there wasn't much shade and temps reached 97 degrees but she thought she'd be okay.  She got about a third of it done before she had to put on her five fingers.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Yeah, I blistered the bottoms of my feet in 3/4 of a mile a few weeks ago.  The pavement didn't feel hot at first but quickly became very painful.  Even more so when I had to walk/hobble back to my car.

I don't run without my vffs anymore.  Maybe this winter when the pavement isn't 4000 degrees...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

One of the women in the GCI 50k this weekend ran it barefoot.  I was worried the pavement might get too hot given that there wasn't much shade and temps reached 97 degrees but she thought she'd be okay.  She got about a third of it done before she had to put on her five fingers.

It reached 97 in my first hottest marathon too.  Fortunately, lots of shade in what was then the "Emerald City" (Seattle now mostly concrete).  In the open sun, concrete sidewalks were cooler than the pavement.  Other runners had so many blisters from hot, sweaty, wet shoes.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

It was super hot here yesterday, but hit the pavement around 7:30. It was much cooler and completely bearable even if it was still in the mid-80s. The sunset made a huge difference.

TRUST THE PROCESS