Barefoot Runners

It ain't all sunshine and kittens... (Read 329 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Lest I give an excessively rosy picture of my barefoot running, I thought I'd share one of the downsides.  I dug this out of my foot today:

(No, not the dime!  The little thing next to the dime.)

People always assume glass is a problem.  Glass is rarely a problem -- it wears down to dull little bits.  What is an occassional problem are little metal shards or thorns, because they're strong enough and fine enough to pierce my soles.

I've hit about three of these in the last year of city running.  I'm not sure what exactly they are.  They're hard to see and feel because they're so small. 

In this particular case, I hit it about one mile into an 8 mile run.  I realized I wasn't going to get it out without tools, so I just kept going. 

They're slick and hard to get a grip on.  I use a razor blade to scrape away the dead outer skin so I can get down to it..  Even though it was embedded almost perpendicular to my skin, and driven too deep to feel from the outside, it never drew blood. 
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      as our group's guru_ I think you are silently smiling that you can tolerate that huge length of run and show that to usSmile

Ben

Ouch!

(And I did think it was the dime at first.  "WTF??"  lol)

Thats it  -----  I'm wearing shoes from now on.......

ED - are you running in BayState this year??     I initially signed up for the Marathon, but downgraded to the HALF cause I just didnt think I could be ready like I want to be.........

Champions are made when no one is watching

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

ED - are you running in BayState this year??     I initially signed up for the Marathon, but downgraded to the HALF cause I just didnt think I could be ready like I want to be.........

I'm planning to run Hartford this year instead.  If all goes according to plan it will be my first truly barefoot marathon.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

I'm planning to run Hartford this year instead.  If all goes according to plan it will be my first truly barefoot marathon.

I know a few people running in Hartford this year --- I understand it to be a very well executed race.........

I'm planning  to finish the HALF and cool down, get something to drink and then watch the marathon guys come in.........so I guess I wont need to look for the 'crazy barefoot guy'...

Champions are made when no one is watching

You so crazy......trivia--who used to say that...you so crazy--from a tv show or something

i am asking i do not know--i have metal plates in my face and shouldersSmile  And now looking at that miniscule tiny teeny weenie cat paw thing--that got caught in your foot-paaaa shaaaaa.......Once in Africa (mumbling incoherent ramblings)

So I have an excuse...Ben

Gig

Was it Martin Lawrence?