Barefoot Runners

Never thought I'd be scared of leaves... (Read 921 times)

jeffdonahue

But I am now.

I was out for a nice BF run (4.1 miles - my farthest ever  ) and being Fall in New England, there are lots of leaves everywhere.  As I was running and approaching a section of sidewalk that was covered in leaves, I thought "Wow, this should be nice, the leaves will be cool and crunchy and cushiony." and at first they were. 

But Lord, beware the stuff that can be hidden underneath the leaves.  I dont know what exactly it was that I stepped on, but I jumped about 3 feet straight up and howled like a werewolf (Note the Halloween reference there). 

I hobbled for a couple hundred yards before the pain dissipated.

On the up-side it was a good run.  A little pain in one foot towards the end, but nothing major, and the bottoms of my feet felt good the entire run.

I also ran past the local High School, not knowing they had a half day today, so I had to run past a couple dozen teenagers, and at least a half dozen comments about my barefootedness.

Jeff

that's funny.  I was thinking the same thing when I was running the past couple days.  Fortunately I didn't step on anything that made me jump so high, however I tell myself to stay relaxed.  If  step on anything it will hurt a lot less to keep it loose.

Congrats on the long barefoot run.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Certainly Something...

I'm less scared of glass and the large sharp pointy rocks on the train tracks I cross barefoot than leaves.  At least I can see the rocks and the glass and be gentle on my placement, with leaves... you never know!  

Jeff, I need to get as tough as you though, where I'm at currently if I manage to hit something really hard I'm mostly sunk.  I'll start trying to change my landing as to not hit the sore spot, which in turns makes me stick my landing instead of placing down relaxed and gently which can quickly lead to bruised soles, blood blisters, loss of skin.  Probably has something to do with not enough endurance training on my part.  Usually, it's a stick in leaves :/

Gotta TRI

I had a "scary" leaf encounter the other day on a run. I was going along at a nice clip, enjoying the fall NE scenery and was looking to my left. When I turned back to look forward a leaf blew by right in front of my face. Startled the heck out of me!
          2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
          xcal

that's funny because  motorbike riding is the same....leaves can cover some of the most dangerous things on the road!

Prizefighter

But Lord, beware the stuff that can be hidden underneath the leaves.

That's an early lesson I learned about bicycling. It may look like it'll be fun to kick up some leaves, but -- and this is one of the worst surprise wipe-outs I've see -- those leaves could easily be floating on top of a water filled pot hole!

The dude on the bike went over his handlebars, but only suffered some scrapes.

Someone trying to jog over that booby trap could have broken an ankle!

PCHOOOOO!

I was thinking something else was going to be hidden. Something disgustingly squishy and smelly.

Glad you weren't seriously injured!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I was thinking something else was going to be hidden. Something disgustingly squishy and smelly.

Glad you weren't seriously injured!

I would gladly step on a big honking piece of dog crap than find a stick or big ol' rock in there.  One washes off, the other causes immense physical pain!

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Very true!  I'd probably kill myself, either way, trying to find an immediate split second remedy.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance