Barefoot Runners

Hiking? (Read 760 times)

My husband & I are leaving for Kentucky in a couple of weeks.  I'm at the point of running about 2 miles several times per week in my VFF's.  Any opinions about wearing my VFF's for some of our hiking.  Would it be any more/less strenuous considering I'll be walking not running, but possibly longer distances than 2 miles.  Should I just wear them for a couple of miles than switch to my trail shoes?
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3

I think one of the things that really helped me transition to a barefoot/vibram runner was long walks.  When I first started I only ran 1-2 miles at a time too.  But then I would walk all over town barefoot on the weekends.

Long walks in Vibrams will definatley help strengthen your feet.  You will most likley feel some pain after a few miles (just like anyone who hikes for many miles).

But there is nothing wrong with taking your trail shoes with you.  Go as far as you can in the Vibrams and if you feel too much pain put on your shoes.

An easy and gradual transition will help you the most in the long term.

have fun on the trip!

The right path is my path.
      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Definitely give it a shot.  Hiking barefoot or in VFFs can be hugely beneficial for your transition, especially if it's an uneven trail with a lot of variation, rocks, roots, etc.

You will probably discover muscles you never knew you had, when they scream at you how tired they are.  If you'll be far from rescue, you should still bring whatever other shoes you're accustomed to.

I did some overnight backpacking trips in VFFs when I was just getting started, and I think it helped a lot.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

I would suggest not going too far  in the VFFs when walking. 

I transitioned my "real" shoes to Birkenstocks last August, and I wear them every day, to work, etc.  but I went to Disneyland a few weeks ago, and wore them the entire first day.  By the next day my calves were screaming, SCREAMING!!! I put it down to just Tooo much time in the Birkenstocks.  You may have a similar reaction in your VFFs, if you push the distance too much.

BTW: I didn't have any leg or aches when I transitioned to my VFFs last August, like some people have reported, so the pain while at Disneyland was totally unexpected.

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I think your experience at Disneyland surprised you because time-on-ones-feet matters a lot more than we think.

As a runner, I know I tend to think of just standing and walking around as no big deal.  But standing and walking for ten or twelve hours is not trivial, especially when you have under-developed muscles that are just started to learn to function without supportive shoes.

For a beginner, running an hour in VFFs is probably easier than walking in them all day, just because of the amount of time involved.  This actually means the walking is a significant and valuable workout, if you don't overdo it.

Thanks guys.  I have a few non-running friends (I try not to hold it against them) that I have been walking with lately to encourage physical activity.  I'm going to wear my VFF's on a few walks before my trip to see how it feels.  As a matter of fact, I'm going to do a little trail walking with a friend today, so this will be a decent test.  Regardless of which shoes I start with, I think I'm always going to keep the other pair in my pack while we are in Kentucky.  The worst that can happen is my legs get sore.  After years of repeated injury, and even without injury, tired legs from long runs, I really don't see this as a problem.  Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it!

Funny that you say this.  When I started dragging my non-running friends out for walks, I didn't count my walks toward my run mileage.  After a couple of weeks of spending more time walking than running, and feeling the walks, I started to rethink this.  I actually logged my walks under my run log with a type of "walk".  That was alot of time on my feet/legs to not be counting.  And I don't slowly walk & smell flowers.  I walk to get friends fit, which means speeding it up & breaking a sweat.  

I think your experience at Disneyland surprised you because time-on-ones-feet matters a lot more than we think.

One thing to be aware of while hiking in VFFs is that on mud you will slip more than expected.

Huaraches Maker

We have a bunch of customers who wear Invisible Shoe huaraches when they hike... and just as many who hike barefoot, and keep their sandals rolled up in their pocket, just in case.

The only real difference is that you pay more attention to where you step compared to wearing shoes... oh, that and it's MUCH more fun to be barefoot or almost-barefoot ;-)

I wore my VFF's the other day for a few miles of walking on the trails near my house.  Fabulous.  I could feel my legs working, but not as painfully as when I run.  And I LOVED the feel of the mud squishing between my toes.  Made me feel like a kid again!  They will definitely be making the trip to Kentucky with me.  Considering I just spend $100 on new hiking shoes, I'll be sure to wear those too, but I see alot of VFF time coming.
                      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

One thing to be aware of while hiking in VFFs is that on mud you will slip more than expected.

I strongly disagree. 

I am drastically more nimble in FiveFingers than in boots. 

I strongly disagree. 

I think it depends on the soil types that your running/walking on.  And running form, too, i'm sure.  Throughout this winter  I've determined that there are some trails that have soil that is too clayey (is that word?), that I can't run on with my vibrams.  other trails with more rocks and leaves are just find.  Soil type is definately a factor, though, at least for us beginners.

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

I strongly disagree. 

There is a big difference between being nimble and slipping in mud. Going up hill in mud sucks.