Barefoot Runners

Road Runner Sports Against Barefoot Running? (Read 1091 times)

Running in Socks

I'm pretty new to this site, so I apologize if this has been posted previously. 

Running Scared - Road Runner Sports CEO's Email to Customers about the Dangers of Barefoot Running

Having trouble with the link. Scroll up to the top to read the email from the RRS CEO.

I also read an article in Runner's World debating Barefoot vs. Shoes.  Ken Bob was the proponent for barefooting, but I can't recall the proponent for shoe-running.  Nice to see the debate heating up!

Yea I saw that, pretty funny and just shows how narrow minded people can be. Instead of knocking barefoot running, they should adapt there business and marketing.

Professional Antagonist

I think Kevin Kirby was the podiatrist that took the "anti-barefoot" side in the Runners World debate.

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

Imminent Catastrophe

I think Kevin Kirby was the podiatrist that took the "anti-barefoot" side in the Runners World debate.

I'm calling for a boycott of Road Runner Sports: http://barefootjason.blogspot.com/ 

I've been boycotting them for years. I didn't like their business practices. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I've been boycotting them for years. I didn't like their business practices. 

I think it will be interesting to see how running businesses evolve. They can take the fear mongering approach, will inevitably will fail.

Obviously shod folk aren't going anywhere for some time, and there is of course the minimalist shoes that are becoming increasing common, so it's not as though running stores don't have any product. Although the min. shoes are going to obviously be lasting a lot longer than a Beast, since there is nothing to really break down, and if it does, who cares...

There are also tech shirts, shorts, hats, etc. Just because I run barefoot doesn't mean I want to run around in an old pair of gym shorts with a cotton sweatshirt on.

Still... as I understand it the SHOE part of the business is much more lucrative as I tend not to burn through my shorts every 300 miles.

The only thing that concerns me with the local running store taking a hit is that they sponsor quite a few races around the area. I imagine this is similar for other regions. If these businesses profit take a big hit, is that going to adversely affect the number or quality of races?

So, to hijack the thread slightly, what are your thoughts on the effect of potential reduced profits for shoe companies with regards to racing?

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Professional Antagonist

Sumdeus, I worried about that, too.  The owner of a running store in your area was VERY skeptical about barefoot running when I suggested holding a clinic in conjunction with one of their major race events.  Skepticism is a good thing, but his was more of a "ignore the plethora of research and anecdotal evidence and cling to one single example of potential problems associated with being barefoot.'  Still, I think he was generally supportive, but was waiting for more research to back it up. 

As far as the LRSs that take a very anti-barefoot stance, I doubt they will lose significant business.  I just like to point out the inherent flaws in their arguments.  In the case of Road Runner Sports, I just like to point out how incredibly stupid their message sounded.

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

In this context,  I do not care what their motivations are. My mindset is as follows, and is hypothetical of course:

1. Revenues drop in running shoe stores (enough to make a real dent).

2. Above running shoe store is major sponsor of races.

What is the effect of (1) on (2) ?

Or, put different, what would be the effect of reduced revenue for shoe resellers?

Running in Socks

In this context,  I do not care what their motivations are. My mindset is as follows, and is hypothetical of course:

1. Revenues drop in running shoe stores (enough to make a real dent).

2. Above running shoe store is major sponsor of races.

What is the effect of (1) on (2) ?

Or, put different, what would be the effect of reduced revenue for shoe resellers?

I'd really hope these local running stores aren't as lazy as Road Runner Sports.  I would hope that instead of trying to manipulate customers, they'd actually start to cater more to barefoot runners (assuming they see revenues decline, and that they believe it's because of the barefoot movement).  Vibram seems to be filling in a lot of the holes between Barefoot running and running in shoes.

We don't have a local running store here, but the few that I've been to in the last few months didn't have any minimalist shoes on the shelves, and I couldn't find any traces of Born to Run in their reading sections.

Maybe it's different in other areas, but that's how it seems to me in the Carolinas and Georgia.

I don't really have any thoughts about the sponsorship aspect.  I would hope the local running stores stay in business though.

Eternal Rookie

Even if shoe sales dropped off at local running store, I doubt that it will reduce the number of races because so many are tied to “causes” these days they’ll actively seek other sponsors. They’re a great money maker. In my prime it was all about racing for racing sake and races were few and far between; now it’s a cash cow for the non profits and on some weekends there are 5 or 6 in my area.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                        Here is a good argument, from a business perspective, for why this is a dumb move.

This is the link that is at the start of this thread and sparked the discussion.

Queen of 3rd Place

They are missing a golden opportunity to sell Vibram, Feelmax, racing flats etc. I would bet that most people who are interested in BF/minimal running still want shoes.

Ex runner

Have you guys seen this site?  http://www.runningbarefootisbad.com/

Interestingly the shop bit seems to link to ebay items and an ad for Road Runner sports.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

So the question one must ask is why do they care? I don't care if someone wants to run in shoes. If it works for them go for it. It wasn't working for me.

Imminent Catastrophe

Have you guys seen this site?  http://www.runningbarefootisbad.com/

Interestingly the shop bit seems to link to ebay items and an ad for Road Runner sports.

Wow, they sure have an agenda. I'd like to know who is behind this site--I'd be willing to bet it's someone with a financial interest.

"After being around the running community for many years, you soon get to notice that in general, members of the barefoot running community are not particularly bright people"

That's a pretty blatant ad-hominem attack.

They must feel threatened.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016