Barefoot Runners

Searchers on Saturday found the body of renowned long-distance runner Micah True (Read 969 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Just saw this sad news on a local BF running group Facebook page;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/searchers-find-body-of-renowned-runner-micah-true-who-was-missing-after-going-for-a-run-in-nm/2012/04/01/gIQA5Y3HoS_story.html

MTA: NY Times article:

Ultramarathon Runner Micah True Found Dead in New Mexico

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Half Fanatic #846

Also, a few more details here:

news.yahoo.com/micah-true-ultrarunners-body-found-mexicos-wilderness-112936426--abc-news-topstories

(Sorry if it doesn't link...)

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

First, this is very sad news. Anyone who genuinely enjoys being alive -- and appears to be an honest and truthful person -- is a very sad loss.

I am very interested to see what caused his demise. Whether it be heart attack, or other ailment. I'm not sure why I care so much, but the whole thing just seems very surreal. 

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I am very interested to see what caused his demise. Whether it be heart attack, or other ailment. I'm not sure why I care so much, but the whole thing just seems very surreal. 

+1

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

He's the subject of the first sentence in Born to Run.

Half Fanatic #846

Here is a lot more recent information (today), although the cause of death has yet to be released. They did say no apparent trauma...

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/04/06/micah-trues-death

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

SuperChef

Sad story for sure.  Unfortunately, his type of lifestyle had serious risks in the day-to-day

How long does it take to figure out what killed a man? Apparently this is difficult to determine, or just not worthwhile enough to report on... 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

How long does it take to figure out what killed a man? Apparently this is difficult to determine, or just not worthwhile enough to report on... 

Yeah, I've been wondering.  With all the initial press, you'd think there would be at least some followup.

It can take weeks or sometimes longer to complete an autopsy, especially when the cause of death is uncertain. Think of all the work that goes into inspecting the body, draining the fluids, assessment of the vital organs, bloodwork. 

OK, you win as the voice of reason. Good point.

Half Fanatic #846

There could be delays based on what kind of tests the ME's office requests (or has to send out for other lab work, etc.). Okay now, while we're drumming our fingers...

Back in the day (I'm talking '70's), you could tell how long an autopsy was going to take by how many cigarettes our county coroner laid out on the table.  Really.  Times, they have changed.

One of the tributes I read to Caballo mentioned Chagas disease. I too am curious to know. I started running because of Born to Run...

I started reading Born to Run again after the news came out.

One of the things I'd forgotten was McDougall describing Caballo's fainting spells; I wonder if that might have been relevant to what happened. In the book they talked about how he got to a town and passed out and hit his head and woke up bandaged, but had he done that a half hour earlier he'd have been left exposed out in the wilderness.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Friday will be one month since he went missing. Still no details on what happened, wiki says they found him with his legs dangling in a stream with no obvious signs of trauma. I'm really wondering now if the cause of death was some strange, rare occurrence that has no noticeable side effects for the victim. I really hope for the people close to him that they can get some closure and put him to rest soon.