Barefoot Runners

Huaraches Report (Read 1240 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So this morning I took a short, four-mile run in my Hs, this time with the slip-on tie method.  I think I tied them snugly, but not tight, as they seem in Steven's video.  Still unable to run silently, so the deer probably hear me coming from a quarter mile off.  They're not fleeing in fear, though, just snickering to themselves. I tried modifying my gait, but nothing seemed to attenuate the noise at all, other than adopting a sort of speedwalking style.  Maybe that's what I should be doing.

Boy, it's fun to run in them.  I really like them, but once again, there's a sore on my foot, this time on top where the knot touches/rubs.  The other foot had a red spot, not what I'd call a sore, but if I were to run harder, or 8, 10, 12 miles, I bet it would be.  I'll experiment with a looser lacing, I guess, and meantime, while the sore heals, I'll have to slap moleskin on my feet under the knots.

Ah, yes, the knot.  Yet you imply that the pain is internal, not an abrasion sore as I am having, right?  (See my next post.)

Yes, muscle pain. It is as if the knot is making the muscle quite tense. I am getting use to running in shoes now. I had only run  miles this year in shoes, before this pain began. I actually bought a pair of cross country flats, because the pain started. Well, and the fact that I bruised the soles of my feet while trail running. At this point, I am doing whatever it takes to keep running.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So, after 72 miles on the huaraches, I owe you an update.  I'll start by saying that of the three options I have, BF, VFFs, and huaraches, I like the latter best Smile .  I have switched to the slip-on tie and it's better.  I still have to slap a square of moleskin on the top of my foot where the knot is, but that's sufficient.  Maybe eventually I'll figure out a way to tie them so the knot's chafing is avoided.  Maybe I won't.

I think I'm running a bit less noisily now.  I'm not sure it's possible to sneak up on a deer while running on concrete, and so yesterday I tried running a bit on grass.  That was indeed almost silent.  My stride apparently is still adapting; after yesterday's nine-mile run, my calves were feeling it.  Enjoyed the run, though.

Side note:  Just finished reading Born to Run.  Very cool. Smile

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Huarache's running update. Have 33 mi on them so far and after today's performance am going to make them regular in my rotation. Got longest run yet and great results this am, 5.9 mi with two mi at shod foot half marathon pb pace. They also force better mid-foot strike by just listening to the impact. Much quieter when striking correctly on mid-foot - and feels easier as well. I tried to keep focused on making that happen and think that helped me in mi 4 & 5 achieve the half marathon pb without feeling that it was hard. 

Oh, other note. I switched to toga style lacing, and making it tighter works better for me, making it easier to warm up walk then when they are to loose. Am enjoying these in-spite of having trimmed right sandal to short and noticing that I have the left sandal base laced backwards. I'm still able to make them work with the toga style lacing. 

Color me happy!Big grin

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

@ Bobev:  Sounds like you're a huaraches convert like me.  I wish I knew how you can use the toga lacing without the chafing that I experienced.  Either I didn't tie them right or I'm built differently.  Keep us posted on how it's going.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

LED: Yes I am a convert even with the mistakes I've made in using them.

Have a run a few more miles in them. Knot on right sandal broke 1mi into a run. So I ran barefoot. Realized it felt good and extended run "home" by returning the long way. Got 1.6 mi bf. Longest complete bf yet. I once again screwed up re-lacing the right sandal to loose and got lace burns on top of foot. DW saw the scabs a few days later and is pissed. I re-laced the left sandal correctly and have yet to get out in them since then. Want to be sure I don't irritate the burn areas. Did luck into getting a pair of Vibram Sprints at 20% off by participating in an Austin Runners Club run/shop event at the first Luke's Locker in Austin. Am planning on running tomorrow's 5 mi Turkey Trot in the Bikila's. 

More to come I am sure!

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

update. I loosened the front lacing on the right sandal and re-laced the left sandal - a bit to tight when I ran in them on Monday so I took them off and went bf for 1 1/2 mi. I loosened the front lacing on both again this morning and had a great 3.4mi run in them. The looser lacing does not bind or cause the sandals to flop which is what I feared. I think they are ready to be put in full rotation with my VFF Bikila & Sprint, and altered Croc's. Will likely take the END OTG's out of regular rotation to extend their life. The mfg co was bought out and its not available anymore. I bought extra laces and another Huarache kit during the Invisible Shoe Anniversary sale, so I am ready for the next set! 

bob e v

Fast Ninja

I assembled my Huaraches all by my self and tie it nicely and SPRINT with it and all about the sound of FLAP-FLAp its normal because you hit the ground mid foot and if you have problems in tearing the sole material... Enforce it with ducktape learn how to tie here http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1827650223504&oid=186577394726204&comments HUARCHES SPRINTING TIE