Barefoot Runners

Wussing out (Read 361 times)

jeffdonahue

Okay, I admit it.  I'm a wuss.  The weather has been cold and/or damp lately when I run (plus my runs have been at 4:00 AM due to a work shcedule change) and I havent run barefoot in two weeks.  I suck.  And I was doing well too - was up to almost 5 miles comfortably a couple times a week.

I just dont like running and having my feet turn numb on me.  I did it a few times, but once they are numb it is just miserable and I dont want to run any more.  Maybe I need to get my Vibrams (not till X-mas though).

Just griping.  It looks nice todya, maybe at lunch I will drop the shoes for at least a few miles.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

It's not wussing out.  Or were you really planning to run barefoot all winter, in Massachusetts?  My first season I didn't last much into November.

However, if you don't run barefoot today, you're a wuss.  It's 67 and sunny right now.  I'm not conditioned for this weather anymore, it felt like 80.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      jeffdonahue

Nope, definitely got it in today.  I headed out and did 7 miles total and went BF for 4 of them.  It felt AWESOME.  No foot pain, no tenderness of the feet, just felt good to be out there BF again.
        roy98144

Tue, on barefootrunner.com, bought and tested a number of minimalist shoes and gives lower marks to the Vibram FiveFingers, but says his "favourite running shoes" are cheap water shoes he bought for 5 euro.

http://www.barefootrunner.com/2009/03/review-wateraqua-shoes/

I took this advice and found some similar shoes at a big sporting goods store for $10.   They're great.  I can run on pretty much anything, I run straight over broken glass every day, and the only trouble I've had were some small blisters on my toes when I first started using them.