Barefoot Runners

Articles about Barefoot Running (Read 224 times)

Half Fanatic #846

I thought it might be a good idea to link interesting barefoot articles/research/training/info. we come across from time to time for the convenience of our members. Here's my contribution titled "The Barefoot Route": www.marathonandbeyond.com/choices/clift.pdf

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Here's my contribution titled "The Barefoot Route": www.marathonandbeyond.com/choices/clift.pdf
      Thanks for the article - I fixed the link and enjoyed it as well. Here is one of the snippets I found useful as a complete beginner with a mere 3.3 miles of bf experience...
      According to exercise physiologist and Olympic marathoner Pete Pfitzinger, the key to starting out is to go slowly. He advises walking barefoot for a few weeks to toughen up the skin on the bottom of the foot as well as the muscles in the ankles and feet. Once you are ready to run, start with a mere five minutes, increasing slowly and running barefoot every couple of days. From there, build to up to 20 minutes over a month. After a few weeks of this, the feet and ankles will be stronger, thus reducing the risk of injury.