Barefoot Runners

Intervals + Vibrams + Pavement = ? (Read 338 times)

So I decided I would bump things up a notch today and try some vo2max (intervals) today. Ran 2 x (5 min Interval pace, 3 min Easy pace, 3 min Interval pace, 3 min Easy pace). My intervals pace is about 6:06, if it matters. The point of the post is that I could not get up to pace. I just couldn't do it. My legs were fine, my breathing was fine, just something about my feet landing held me back. I seem to have the most trouble going downhill. I feel like I have to catch myself for some reason. I did the 3 min interval around the park, so it was off the pavement, and I was able to speed things up a bit. Besides to just keep on plugging, any advice for running fast? Am I just a fool to have attempted it?

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

I think it's a little early to run that fast. Give it time. Oh wait you said besides that. nevermind, I got nothing.
      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

My guess is you're too tense. Relax. When you're starting to run barefoot, it's natural be tense and defensive. Concentrate on staying loose and relaxed. It's easier to learn at slow paces and increase the speed once you're stronger and more confident.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
          Thanks for the feedback. Trying to loosen up a bit more is a great tip. Time to keep plugging away. I was hoping for a breakthrough going a bit faster, kinda force my body to adapt.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

I don't do speed workouts or anything but I always end up going slower on downhills. I just can't seem to throw myself down them the way other people do. Too scary in Vibrams.
            Relax, Relax, Relax
            Eustace Tierney

YoYo

I think just giving it time is the best advice. My pace has increased quite well over the past month and thats with mostly easy running. It will come as your form adjusts. Downhills are still tough for me too. Im 6ft 2" and I used to use that to my advantage going downhill. I find now I have to shorten my stride considerably to avoid heel striking. To make up for this I try to increase my leg turnover.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Downhills are still tough for me too. Im 6ft 2" and I used to use that to my advantage going downhill. I find now I have to shorten my stride considerably to avoid heel striking. To make up for this I try to increase my leg turnover.
                With loose hips you can open up your stride considerably and still avoid heel striking. As an exercise, while running try to keep your foot on the ground a moment longer than you normally would have, letting your leg travel out further behind you. You'll feel your hips rotate.
                Eustace Tierney

YoYo

With loose hips you can open up your stride considerably and still avoid heel striking. As an exercise, while running try to keep your foot on the ground a moment longer than you normally would have, letting your leg travel out further behind you. You'll feel your hips rotate.
                  Will try this thanks. Would this be specifically for downhills or in general? Can I pick your experienced brain on another point. - I appear to be landing on the outside of my feet (forefoot). This seems to be the case in Vibrams or trainers. I have developed some discomfort on my right foot, almost like a tingling numbness that shoots right up through my small toe. I can run through this but it is obviously related to my foot strike. I have wore trainers now on a few occasions to allow some healing but am reluctant to wear them more often. Is this a normal foot strike for ball-heel striking. I should also say that I have developed some discomfort in my left hip. Could this all be related to my foot strike.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Wingz

Professional Noob

Curious here too. I find that with barefoot running, when I land my foot first touches around the ball of the foot waaaay over on the pinky-side of the foot, then rolls across the ball of the foot sideways, then back to the heel, and then back to the front of the foot again as I push off. It's made for some soreness on that joint with landing there, but it seems to be what my feet want to do.

Roads were made for journeys...

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

I have just posted this on the 101 forum to see if some ball-heel stikers say this normal and perhaps I just need to ease off a little for now.

Wingz

Professional Noob

I have just posted this on the 101 forum to see if some ball-heel stikers say this normal and perhaps I just need to ease off a little for now.
                        Thanks. Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

I try to land more flat. If I allow myself to do that sort of outside landing I get knee pains.
                          Relax, Relax, Relax
                          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Some amount of roll from outside to inside is normal. Normal running shoes try to control this motion for you. You're relearning how to use your own muscles to control it. The muscles involved will need time to get stronger.