Barefoot Runners

Barefoot on Treadmill (Read 802 times)

BeeRunB

I was thinking of starting with 5 minutes a week, and build a little each week. I'm mostly interested in being to able to strengthen my feet,  and reap those benefits form spending time unshod---not in running races barefoot. Has anyone trained barefoot on the treadmill? If so, are there any problems with the belt  wearing on your feet? Should I wear socks?

I'm thinking of just popping of my shoes at the end of a recovery run.

Any recommendations on time building, how fast I should build, would be great.

Thanks for your time and energy.

Currently I am minimalist with Nike frees and Kinvara.

--JimmyCool

Half Fanatic #846

I started off barefoot running on my TM.  It was fine for shorter distances up to a couple of miles, and I did that for awhile (after that I took it outside from then on).  One day I went out of town and ran BF on a different TM for 1.5 miles and surprisingly got a decent blister on my foot - maybe from not being used to a different TM belt? - I don't know.  What I would have done differently would just be to run on my TM, and if I had a problem or ran BF on a different TM - I would then switch to Vibrams or similar to avoid belt blisters. Other than that, I encountered no problems.  I have heard people complain of "too much heat" from the belt causing blistering - maybe from higher speeds??

MTA: Popping off the shoes and socks at the end of a run for a bit seems like a good way to start building.  Try to run BF without making noise on the deck.  I think I tried no shoes - just socks only - and it felt too slick for that on the TM belt.

Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

BeeRunB

Thanks for the reply, Bill.

I did 2 minutes tonight after my run ar a very slow pace with my socks on.

Feet feel a little creaky---that's the only way to describe it---different stress points.

I'm going to do two of these a week, building from 2 minutes. Going to take

it REAL slow. 

I do it after the run, figuring it's best have warmed-up feet at this point.

--JimmyCool

Half Fanatic #846

Jimmy -

I forgot to mention that starting out it's better to do a few minutes several times a week, than it is more time only two or three times a week.  And your feet will probably feel strange at times and maybe be achy in weird places at times.

And don't forget the value of simply walking barefoot to strengthen your feet - which you could also probably do if you're feet become sore and you don't run BF for a couple of days. 

Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

BeeRunB

Jimmy -

I forgot to mention that starting out it's better to do a few minutes several times a week, than it is more time only two or three times a week.  And your feet will probably feel strange at times and maybe be achy in weird places at times.

And don't forget the value of simply walking barefoot to strengthen your feet - which you could also probably do if you're feet become sore and you don't run BF for a couple of days. 

Bill

Thanks, Bill. Cool

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Jimmy, wearing flat shoes with zero heel drop can also help build up foot strength. E. G. Toms, or Crocs and being sure to not heel strike.

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

BeeRunB

Jimmy, wearing flat shoes with zero heel drop can also help build up foot strength. E. G. Toms, or Crocs and being sure to not heel strike.

Thanks, Bob. I walk in around in Converse All-stars, which are very flat. I use a Nike Free 3.0 (4mm) and the Kinvara (4mm). 

--Jimmy

I have run barefoot on a treadmill only once. it was a 5km. Unfortunately I got a blister on the ball of the foot, and I have never done it again.At my latitudes, it never gets colder than 10 degrees celsius.. Above 10 degrees C. I reckon that, even for those scared of running barefoot on the road, any park is an option.

I hope this helps.

have a nice weekend,

Andrea

beingandrea

Rob Holli

I run barefoot on the treadmill all the time. Same as outside with no rocksSmile and will help build the feet/ legs up. Just take it easy at first because it will blister you. Maybe slow down a little and keep the incline be low 2%

CT JEFF

hey-  I just attempted TM BF #2. First time belt got really hot, I stopped at 1.5miles. Yesterday I did 2.5miles but I did use socks and a neoprene thing called NUFOOT. I also put the fan next to the belt to keep it cool. I kept speed reasonable and am looking forward to trying it again.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

I used to do some barefoot treadmill, but the treadmill that I had at the time got really hot so if I did more than 10 minutes or so I'd wind up burning my feet.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Half Fanatic #846

Here in FL,  I ran 4 miles on a TM with no problems at all.  Later I ran on a treadmill at a gym in N.C. and got a big blister after just 1.5 miles.  I think it's the difference in the belts, but just to be sure I haven't been back.

CT JEFF

After I tried last fall (previous post) thr deck ended up cracking. Replaced it. Did more barefoot running and walking around barefoot this year. For some reason,  the belt seems fine this year. Did 3 or 4 miles at most. But no issues yet.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Purdey

Self anointed title

Up to 10 mi barefoot on TM now.  Belt starts to feel a bit warm, but never any blisters.