Barefoot Runners

Progress report. (Read 880 times)

wanderingoutlaw

I've been cutting back my running some the past couple of weeks as I ease into bike commuting for the summer and fall.  Still been getting in two or three miles of barefoot running a week, though.

I've been letting my feet land as they wish--without consciously trying to land mid or fore-foot--and everything feels comfortable.  Feels like I'm landing flat-footed.  Rocky asphalt still tenderized my feet so I try to limit my time on it.  Today was an easy effort mile all on concrete--a "concrete cloud" as someone in this group dubbed it recently.

John

wanderingoutlaw

Longest barefoot run to date this morning at 3.2 miles.  Had to run on the grass in others' front yards when asphalt got too tough on my feet on some roads.  Downhills were challenging, especially when the asphalt was rough--had a hard time relaxing then.  The newly paved road was the best--smooth asphalt that I could run on forever.

John

wanderingoutlaw

Have progressed to two or three barefoot running sessions a week of up to around 3 miles.  Still finding it difficult to relax on some of the rougher asphalt but seems to be getting incrementally better.

Got a splinter in the ball of my right foot last week.  At first I thought I had developed and popped a blister under the callous on the ball of the foot, and I didn't discover the blister til the next day.

John

I've started going out in the Vibrams for 1/2 mile runs.  I'm planning to do that 3 times per week (MWF) for a while and continue to slowly increase.

-------------------------------------
          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Interesting stuff - thanks for posting.

I continue to run slow/recovery runs barefoot on a treadmill. Here are the total barefoot treadmill miles I have done over the last month: 8 (so far this week), 12, 10, 2, and 2  EDIT - that wasn't too clear. The number represents the number of miles I have run each week over the last month

After those two mile weeks, I jumped back to a barefoot four miler on the treadmill, and felt a little discomfort ("hot" feet.). I made an effort to be more consistent, and the discomfort went away.

pitrunner

I am loving this! I've been either running BF or in my Vibrams for the past 2 weeks. My achilles and PTT have not bothered me at all. My PF twinged a couple times, but I think it's getting stronger. Calves have been sore, but I assume that's to be expected.

I'm probably sounding overly dramatic, but I really think BFR has changed my life! All I want to do is run..and for as long as possible. I am really working hard to not overdo it so that I can keep increasing my distance w/o injuring myself again.

wanderingoutlaw

Been a while since I posted in here.

I ditched my shoes at the beginning of July and had to cut back the running miles to try to learn the barefooting technique.  I'm still only running less than 10 miles a week but I seem to be getting a better hang of running barefoot.

My feet definitely recover more quickly from the time I do too much.  Early in the process I ran more than my feet could handle and afterwards could barely walk for a couple of days.  Now, they may hurt for a couple of hours and walking doesn't bother them.

Anyway, today I ran my 100th barefoot mile.  Hopefully the next 100 will arrive more quickly and less painfully.

John

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Anyway, today I ran my 100th barefoot mile.  Hopefully the next 100 will arrive more quickly and less painfully.

Congratulations!

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Half Fanatic #846

Congrats on the 100!!

Well, I haven't ditched my running shoes yet -  needed 'em for a trail 5K yesterday (a few sections with large gravel as well as many hidden rocks).  I expected to be sore since I hadn't run trails since last year, but am feeling fine.  Maybe because my feet and legs are stronger from running barefoot.  So, today was a little recovery run - 1.25 BF miles which felt really good and relaxing. 

I've worked up to that mileage on my "off" days and will soon be up to 2 mi. and beyond, planning to do all recovery and shorter runs BF.  As soon as the weather gets cooler, I'll take it outside.

Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!