Barefoot Runners

How should I get started? (Read 446 times)

Beware, batbear...

I've read some of the research and am convinced, however, I am worried about the places that I have to run on. I mostly have to run on roads with a lot of gravel and litter, etc. I really don't have a lot of options about other places to run. Any suggestions about how to get started? I've always had really "sensitive" feet too. Little gravel bits and stuff drive me crazy. I just don't know... Advice???

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Check out Vibram FiveFingers.

Beware, batbear...

I just ordered a new pair of running sneaks....grrr... Maybe I should send them back and go for the vibram instead.... I'm perplexed.

Beware, batbear...

Also, part of the issue is, how much barefoot should I start with after being 30 years in shoes?

Wingz

Professional Noob

Seems most people are advising making the transition with super-short workouts (like 1 mile max) and choosing places with relatively little litter. Might be a good time to scout out some new routes. Me, I've just been running on my treadmill... but I'm a chicken. Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

I have been running in vibrams on grass, with short distances between grass patches. I did 2.5 miles on Saturday in my vibrams. The only issue I had was with blisters. The interesting things was the next day I ran 4 miles in my Trainers and almost didn't finish due to tightness in my calf. Not sure what the cause was though. Also, you might check out Huaraches at http://barefootted.com/shop/ I kind of wish I went for those instead. Especially, since you can make a pair for $25.

Certainly Something...

Vibrams are great for running where ever you want to. I moved from a regular shoe -> Huaraches -> Vibrams. I would say that vibrams are currently resistant to anything I've stepped on. I think the thing I noticed the most was a vertical stump of a probably 1/4th inch tree. Foot felt fine after, and I shifted most of my weight off that leg once I started to feel it pushing into the bottom. Vibrams feel a lot more like running barefoot than a 6mm huarache. Hope you have a great time. I don't have a whole lot of knowledge to add.
                Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Switching to barefoot running is mostly about learning a new form. You'll learn fastest by running truly barefoot, precisely because you get so much feedback from your feet. My suggestion is to pause during your normal runs and take your shoes off for a little while and carry them. You can plan it for the smoothest part of your route. You might only want to do a minute or two at first. Remember, you're starting from scratch. If anything hurts, stop doing it. Just be patient and keep trying a little at a time.
                  Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Imminent Catastrophe

Ed4, I saw the picture in the Boston report and it really looks like you're heel striking. Do you? I wouldn't have thought that possible barefoot/FF.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Ed4, I saw the picture in the Boston report and it really looks like you're heel striking. Do you? I wouldn't have thought that possible barefoot/FF.
                      My heels do touch the ground first. But they don't bear much weight. My knee bends to absorb the initial impact, and my foot rotates downward fast enough to catch most of my weight. I've seen myself on slow-motion video doing it (I'm waiting to get a copy of it, I would love to post it.. Hopefully with the accompanying accelerometer graphs.) It's not easy to describe. It also can't be taken out of the larger context of what the rest of my body is doing. Knees bent, back straight, center of gravity slightly forward. I think of the foot landing as the effect, and the overall posture as the cause. When people fixate on trying to make their feet do something different, they just get frustrated. It doesn't happen in your feet, it happens in your core. Your feet will take care of themselves once you have your back, hips, and knees in the right place at the right time. When I first started trying to improve my form, it was my hip flexors and deep abdominals that got sore first, because I had been under-utilizing them for years. This was even before I started experimenting with being barefoot. The barefooting just makes it all automatic. I can run pretty well in shoes, but it takes a lot more concentration.
                        My heels do touch the ground first. But they don't bear much weight. My knee bends to absorb the initial impact, and my foot rotates downward fast enough to catch most of my weight. I've seen myself on slow-motion video doing it (I'm waiting to get a copy of it, I would love to post it.. Hopefully with the accompanying accelerometer graphs.) It's not easy to describe. It also can't be taken out of the larger context of what the rest of my body is doing. Knees bent, back straight, center of gravity slightly forward. I think of the foot landing as the effect, and the overall posture as the cause. When people fixate on trying to make their feet do something different, they just get frustrated. It doesn't happen in your feet, it happens in your core. Your feet will take care of themselves once you have your back, hips, and knees in the right place at the right time. When I first started trying to improve my form, it was my hip flexors and deep abdominals that got sore first, because I had been under-utilizing them for years. This was even before I started experimenting with being barefoot. The barefooting just makes it all automatic. I can run pretty well in shoes, but it takes a lot more concentration.
                        How did you improve your form? I've been reading about Chi running. I have horrible form, and I know I heel strike too. Do those Vibrams work as well as barefoot? My old boot camp instructor used to yell at me to pick up my feet. We would do laps with exaggerated heel to butt running. Should I try that?

- Anya

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

FiveFingers are nice, but for trying to learn a new form, barefoot works better. The reason is that you want as much feedback as possible from your feet to tell you when you're doing something wrong. Discomfort and pain are your teachers, as long as you take it slow. You have to understand and accept that you're starting from scratch. You might need to walk before you can run. And you'll need to run slower and shorter for a while. Here's some pretty good advice on how to get started. The exercises in the Chi Running book are also good. They helped me some even before I started experimenting with barefoot running, but the barefoot running is what helped me internalize it. You may also benefit from yoga or martial arts. Anything that teaches you to be more aware and in control of your whole body.
                          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Oh, and to answer your other questions: form drills like your drill instructor used may indeed help. I haven't really done much of that myself, but I know others who have. As for how I transitioned myself, around January 2007 I started out with the exercises in Chi Running, stuck with that for several months and felt significant improvement. At first my core muscles and hips were quite sore, as I discovered I hadn't really been using them before. By summer I started increasing my mileage again and realized I was still running badly much of the time. It took constant concentration to stick to better form, otherwise I would slip back into bad habits and start having knee pain again. Then I started adding some barefoot runs. At first I would just take off my shoes and carry them for a little while. I would usually do this on smooth but hard surfaces, like paved walking paths. I noticed immediately that it was much more natural to maintain a good form while barefoot. Just doing some barefoot running at the beginning of a run would help me find a good form for the remainder, even with shoes on. Soon afterward I bought some FiveFingers and started doing some runs in those. I spent about a month switching between normal shoes, FiveFingers, and bits of barefooting (usually by carrying the FiveFingers or shoes for a while). This was around August 2007. Eventually I noticed that I just felt more beat up after running in normal shoes, and I retired them completely, some time in September. I began progressing much faster once I stopped mixing in shoes. At this point I was doing about half barefoot and half in FiveFingers, and I stuck with this through the fall months. I did my first race in FiveFingers, a 5k. Then the winter came and I struggled to maintain my new form in warmer shoes with less feedback. In the spring of 2008 I started doing a much higher proportion barefoot and felt really good. I kept it up all that summer and fall, and ran a PR marathon in FiveFingers (3:05). The next winter I did much better, probably because I had more time to internalize my new form and could do it even with less feedback (Teva water shoes, still not at all "heavy" by most runner's standards). That brings us to spring 2009, in which I've been running mostly barefoot since it has been warm enough. I've done some training in FiveFingers to get ready for the Boston marathon, and ran the race in them. I just wasn't confident enough to race it barefoot given the lack of barefoot running over the winter. Now that it's past I'm running exclusively barefoot, and plan to build mileage all summer and race barefoot in the fall.
                              Ed, Thanks for all the info. I am suffering ITBS ( again ) and I am just sick of it. I read about this before, but never took it seriously, until now. I'm facing not being able to run again period. ( well, at least that what my fear is ) Since I'm not even running right now, ( planned on trying some trial runs next week) this may be a good time to try it. I live across from the Navy Stadium, and they have a very nice paved path that's 1.2 miles around. Sounds sort of perfect for barefoot running. God, my brother had the biggest, fattest feet when we were kids. Every spring, he would take his shoes off, and not put them on until it snowed. He said he had to "toughen them up" for summer. I'll have to ask him what his secret is. Btw, he's 43 now, and still barefoot most of the time ( but he doesn't run) As far as my form, I am giong to get the book, Chi running. My problem, I am so bad a visulizing and excecuting new things on my own. You should see me read and try these IT Band stretches, I have a hard time following directions! Oh, and my instructor used to always yell at me for having "tense shoulders" too. I'm an all around mess, and I know deep down, that's why I have the injury. I'm excited to try this. I guess I will try the werid shoes too. I don't have to worry about long distances yet, since I can't even run at this point!!!! Thanks again. And I must say, I can't believe I'm going to try this. But, like I said, the track is a block from my place. I will try walking it first, and carry my shoes. And if I can do it, I'll try your method. Thanks again!

- Anya

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Good luck, let us know how it goes.