Barefoot Runners

To BF or not to BF? (Read 441 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm pretty new to barefooting, but have been taking it slowly and interspersing BF with shod miles.  I'm currently doing two mile BF runs without significant problems.  I think I could do three miles any day now.  I'm enjoying it, too, being unencumbered with the shoes.

So here's the deal.  There's a local 5K coming up August 7.  This race is potentially a fast one.  It's run on the airport tarmac, so it's perfectly flat.  Last year I set my PR and fastest pace and won my AG, in shoes.  This year, maybe I could run it even faster, but not barefoot.  I'll have to go a lot slower and more carefully if I ditch the shoes.

What would you do?

Half Fanatic #846

I've been barefooting 10 months now - have recently passed 500 miles and currently doing 14-18 BF mpw.  I marked two 5Ks I wanted to do BF on my calendar recently, but ended up cancelling because I just didn't feel ready to race.  Try to run one faster mile BF the way you would in the race - then decide.  Or do a tempo run to see how you respond to an increase in pace.  In my case, I'm still acclimating.  My pads are still developing, and I bruise my feet if I run too fast, too far, or too many hills. Even so, I'm pretty sure my first "race" BF will be slow and mostly just to finish, like you described.

OTOH, tarmac should be very smooth, shouldn't it?  And you could carry shoes in your hands just in case.  Good luck whatever you decide!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I say run it barefoot, just don't go faster than you're comfortable with. Sure, you could PR in shoes, but if your experience is anything like mine was, you'll be beating that PR barefoot in a few months anyway.

However, if it's hot, the tarmac can be a pain. And your barefoot "readyness" plays a factor, too; especially since you're also still running in shoes, you might get caught up in the excitement of it all and run as if you were in shoes (ie, pushing off, etc).

That said, I say go for it but be careful.

Want a new PR?  Wear shoes.

Running a race barefoot is fun, but I would tend to suggest caution before jumping into it until you've got a bit more experience.

Increasing distance and increasing speed shouldn't necessarily happen at the same time.

If you weren't going to race it but just wanted to see what you could do, then barefoot would be fine, but if you want to be racing I think you might be better off delaying it.  

It will be fun if you go barefoot though. 

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Good points, all.  The race starts at 8:20 am (after a kids' one-miler), so I don't think it will be too hot.  I'll see how the next week or so go for me, and keep my options open pretty much up to gun time.

(So did you like my wordplay on Shakespeare?  Didja? Didja?)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The other day I went three miles barefoot, enjoyed it greatly, then put on my shoes and ran a couple of miles further.  Ugh, I want to be free of the shoes!  Barring any emergency, the race will be done barefoot.
                I tried running in shoes after over a year in no shoes, those shoes have been donated to Good Will. Only had 70 miles on them too.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Okay, to close off this thread, I did it!
                    Nice job, and decent time too.

Half Fanatic #846

Congrats on a really good first BF race - good job!!!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm more competitive than I realize. Apparently I can't manage to hold back on the speed when racing as you advised, but I guess I didn't do too much damage. It was good.
                        RunrGreg

@RunrGreg

Congratulations!

And that's a very respectable time, shoes or not!