Barefoot Runners

Wait, there are different Vibrams??? (Read 544 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Something in Blaine's post cued me in to the idea that there might be different models of Vibrams. WTF? Isn't a Vibram FF a Vibram FF? I thought all those differences in models, etc was the curse of the shoe industry and that if I went to barefoot I'd never have to worry about it again. Now, I'm looking to buy a pair of Vibram FF's so that I can run on a local track (I'm still a tenderfoot!) and expect to have to buy them online. So... if there are different KINDS, how do I know what kind I need?

Roads were made for journeys...

There are: Classic, Sprint and Keep Stuff Out (KSO). (OK, there is also Flow but I don't think it is for runners). Classic are minimal. There is a rubber string you can tighten in the back. My experience with them is that the string can cut into Achilles tendon. I've heard of people cutting and pulling it out. I did and still the way the back was profiled did not agree with my foot. For many people that does not seem to be a problem. Sprint have a strap in the back and on top of the foot. I like those a lot (but also I ordered them a size larger than my Classics that my son now enjoys). I wear them with socks (Injinji) because I've heard that sometimes sand can get under the top strap and makes it feel uncomfortable. Also my feet seem to be prone to blisters. KSO have mesh on top and strap in the back, like Sprints. I would think these would be great for trails but not as cool for your feet as the other models. If you have a store in your area you could try any of those on I would advise doing that. I feel most comfortable in FF one size larger than the Vibram website recommends. Especially when my feet swell that seems to matter a lot.
      I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks for the info!  I'm planning to shop the stores next week, but don't expect to find any here...

I hated the Sprints (too tight on my achilles and no amount of fiddling with the straps helped) but love the Classics. I really wish I could have just gone to a store and tried different things on before going through online orders and returning. Look at the Vibram website and you'll see all of the different kinds.
          Relax, Relax, Relax
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I thought all those differences in models, etc was the curse of the shoe industry and that if I went to barefoot I'd never have to worry about it again.
            Well if you go barefoot you won't have to worry about it ever again. Wink I know people who run in the Flow, by the way. They're warm enough to use in snow, unlike every other model.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              Thanks for the info!  I'm planning to shop the stores next week, but don't expect to find any here...
              Do you have REI in your area? Ours carries FF. One can also order them for store pickup with no shipping charges. If they don't fit you just don't pay for them.
              I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

I've been using the KSO - I tried on the sprints and flows the other day and they didn't fit quite as well. The nice part about the KSO is that they keep **** out (somewhat) - which is why they were designed. This winter I might try on the flows again. They are insulated for colder weather, although since most of my running is on ice and these don't provide a ton of traction I'm not sure how much use they'd get.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

TedsHead

Team Me, Myself & I

FYI:

If you have a City Sports near you they carry the different varieties and will order your size.

Not that this is a great deal, but if you sign up on their web site you get 15% off you're first purchase.  This weekend they have a 20% off sale.  Both discounts are for web and in person purchases.  If you go in person be sure to print out the coupon.

I bought a pair of KSO w/ the 15% off coupon last month.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

They are insulated for colder weather, although since most of my running is on ice and these don't provide a ton of traction I'm not sure how much use they'd get.

I found that after a full summer of barefoot running, my balance was so much better that I didn't have to worry too much about ice.  Of course if you have lots of steep hills, you'll still need the traction.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

I found that after a full summer of barefoot running, my balance was so much better that I didn't have to worry too much about ice.  Of course if you have lots of steep hills, you'll still need the traction.

Heh, I live in Maine and in the Winter I train on the trails at Bradbury Mountain.  Big grin

Run to Win

Wingz

Professional Noob

Got 'em!

Big grin

Great Outdoor Provision Company.  $90 - about what I'd pay for a less expensive pair of running shoes...

are those the KSO or the Flow? Be sure to let us know how they work out for you.
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

They're the KSO.  So far, wearing them around my apartment, they feel nice.  Smile  I may just take them on a test run this morning in spite of my earlier, more cautious (sensible?) thoughts...

I'm wearing my "running" KSOs right now to work - I figure that way I didn't need to bring a separate pair of running shoes tonight.

Run to Win

Wingz

Professional Noob

They worked great!  My trail was very sandy, so some sand getting in was inevitable in spite of the mesh... but they kept out a lot more than my running shoes would have.  And they were comfortable.  And no blisters.  Perfect!

I was really pushing the effort and distance today, and found that near the end of the run I'd switched back to heel striking.  On the (very) soft trail and with the FF, it wasn't hurting so I don't know how long I did it.  Made a mental note that I do this when tired...