Barefoot Runners

Pains (Read 439 times)

jeffdonahue

Right now I am having two pains when I run BF.  The first is on the Top of my foot, down by where the toes connect to the foot.  It isnt bad and I can run through it, only doing about a half mile right now.

The second is on the bottom of my foot right on the ball of my foot underneath the second toe (right next to my big toe).  It feels like I have a big callus or something there that I am stepping on every time I run.  When I feel it with my finger, that area of skin does seem a bit hard.

So is it okay to run through these and will they get better or should I take a week or two off to see if they heal up and then start again (at shorter distances).

I dont think I jumped up really quickly in mileage this time.  I was going up in 1/4 mile increments, but only after having run 4-5 times at that distance.  So 4 runs at .25, then 4 runs at .5, etc...  I got up to about 1.25 miles when I started to get these two pains.

Should I keep going or rest?

Thanks

JEff

Half Fanatic #846

Did your foot feel better when you recently took a week off from barefooting?  If not, maybe instead of resting it, the interval sessions aggravated it?  Just tryin' to think out loud here...

I've had what I'd call moderate pains/sharp aches in the top of my foot like that which I attributed to going BF and it seems to have gone away for the most part over the last few months, but not the other pain you describe.  There are so many variables.

Another consideration for me is that I recently finished transitioning to  practically 100% minimalist shoes - like Nike Free 3.0, Saucony Kilkennys (trails) , and Vivo Aquas (work) - and I think the transition months probably aggravated my foot pains (stressing and strengthening previously little-used muscles?).  About 6 months ago, I gave myself  a year  (I'm 63) to get past any "transitional" problems.

Hope this helps some!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Is the pain only when you're running barefoot? It looks like you're still switching back and forth between barefoot and shoes.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

jeffdonahue

Is the pain only when you're running barefoot? It looks like you're still switching back and forth between barefoot and shoes.

No, I actually felt it first about a week ago when my shoes came untied while I was running.  When I retied them, I think I tied them too tight and started feelign the pain at the end of that run.

I know I still switch.  With the foot pain I have gotten by ramping up too fast before I was trying to implement it slowly right now.  I just cant mentally bring myself to reduce my mileage to 6 miles a week, which is where I would be if I went totally barefoot.

Oh I completely understand, I wasn't judging, just curious as to whether it was something restricted to the way you were running barefoot vs in shoes.

Personally I would rest it up a little with both types of pain.

Perhaps you can work in more minimalist shoes, barefoot, and the rest in shoes? That would at least shift your balance or "like" barefooting closer.

Personally I couldn't handle the method you're doing, keeping up mileage while trying to transition. I just ended up bombing it and truly transitioning 100%.

MTA: bombing = hurting myself

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

jeffdonahue

Oh I completely understand, I wasn't judging, just curious as to whether it was something restricted to the way you were running barefoot vs in shoes.

Personally I would rest it up a little with both types of pain.

Perhaps you can work in more minimalist shoes, barefoot, and the rest in shoes? That would at least shift your balance or "like" barefooting closer.

Personally I couldn't handle the method you're doing, keeping up mileage while trying to transition. I just ended up bombing it and truly transitioning 100%.

See, for me the minimalist shoes are really just for cold weather and for terrain that my soles are not ready for.  I never (knock on wood) have much issue with the soles of my feet when running BF and have done 4-5 milers back in the Fall with no issues whatsoever there.  My problem seems to almost always be some Top of Foot pain on my right foot.

I wish I could get an experienced BFer to take a look at my form because maybe I'm doing something different with my right foot than my left.

As for going totally BF, I have considered it.  But I have a distinct goal to qualify for Boston this Fall, which I just dont think I will be able to do BF/Minimal.  After that marathon I think I do plan on going completely BF/Minimal even if I have to cut way back on mileage for a bit.  Then I will plan to build up so I can run Boston in 2012 barefoot (or at least minimalist).

Thanks for the advice.  I think I will rest it for a week and see how it feels after that.  I also need to relace my shoes to see if that is the problem too.